Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I use to LOVE our wool covers for nighttime. They were wonderful, and kept DD1's bum cool and aired at night. But now they are a nightmare.

We are currently rotating two wool covers--a bum sweater made by another mama, and a felted cover, I think from Simon's Custom Creations. The felted cover (snapping) is dyed green, and every single night it leaks green onto our FCB nightlights, the sheets, and DD's legs. I have soaked it, used vinegar, and done everything I can think of, but it still bleeds. On top of that it leaks! I thought the bum sweater was doing well, but a couple nights ago DD woke up because she had a major pee, and it soaked the diaper, I felt drops of pee on the cover, and her sheets were soaked.

I do wash them and lanolize every month (or at least try to remember to do that), but they don't work for very long.

Any suggestions? Should I lanolize differently? I am using the tube of lanolin, mixing it with hot water, then pouring the water into the sink with the covers. I also have lanolin spray, which I use occasionally. I've tried putting more lanolin in the water, but then the covers just get sticky.

Help! I really do love wool!

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I would try a thicker diaper or use a doubler with the diaper first. Not enough absorbency in the diaper is always cause for wool getting wet, regardless of how good the wool is.

I'm not familiar with the wool items you say you are using, but I will say there is daytime and nighttime weight wool. You might want to consider getting a thicker cover for overnight. I would recommend a Ribby Wrap, personally. They fit almost any diaper very well and are made with the thicker wool. They are my favorite wool item for using under clothes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree with the above post. I've found the best night time wool cover we own is our Aristrocrat covers...they are nice and thick and are awesome wool covers!!!! I cant say enough great things about them. Hope you find something that works for you and your sweetie

·
Registered
788 Posts
I agree- Aristocrats are great for overnight. Babyology (on ebay) is very similar and there are a few on sale in their ebay store right now. We've also had good luck with LANA covers and Disana (though Disana felted and shrunk after a few months of use, even though I tried to be gentle with them and washed them in the sink, etc. I know they are designed to shrink some but they ended up way too short in the rise).

I say get an Aristocrat and make sure the diaper you are using is absorbent enough.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
I'm wierd in that I much prefer the crocheted/knitted soakers much better than the other ones available.

I would certainly suggest using more lanolin, if you're worried about stickiness, try lanolizing the soaker inside out - that way you're super lanolizing the inside of the soaker, which is what encounters wetness first! HTH!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, tonight she's got her normal night diaper on, plus a prefold trifolded on the inside. Tomorrow (or in the next few days) I will try lanolizing inside out. I am also going to look into an Aristocrat, as I've been interested in them anyway!

Thanks mamas!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts