Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some good wool for knitting soakers and longies. What is the best to use? I don't really understand the different kinds, so a quick tutorial would be appreciated!! Also, where do you like to buy from? I want some nice bright colors for my dd

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the recommendations! I got some hand painted wool from Little Turtle Knits. Is 1 enough to knit a pair of small longies? (I should have checked BEFORE I ordered :LOL) I got 3 different ones and I am SO excited for them to come.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Second the vote for Theresa's yarn at LTK!!! Her yarn is great and her colorways are beautiful! And she's so nice

I got two small soakers out of one skein of her farm yarn, and a small soaker and apron top out of another one. I think in the pattern she recommends one for NB or small longies, and 2 for M or L.

She also sells Henry's Attic Yarns, which I just bought a hank of -- haven't used it yet but it is absolutely GORGEOUS! Super soft-- a little more expensive but the the hanks are HUGE.

Another popular one is Cascade 220-- I just bought some of that and am attempting handpainting with Kool Aid. www.yarn.com had a sale on it, not sure if they still do.

Good luck!
~Devon

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Oh, and as for your quick tutorial -- I am no expert either -- but a soaker is usually done in worsted weight (usually 3 ply) for daytime wear, heavy worsted (usually 2 ply-- the plys are thicker) for nighttime. I usually just go with the pattern's recommendation, makes life easier!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.