Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Cloth diapering mamas

Please excuse me for asking if this is a silly question- but I dind't start using cloth on my sweet almost 2 year old until he was 4 months old (and at that point I had to get all larges because he was over 20 pounds!!!) I've been having a little too much fun getting our cloth diapering collection ready for sweet Savannah who will be joining us in Sept. My question is, is it ok to put wool on a newborn? I was showing my dh some BEAUTIFUL wook soakers online and he had a fit and said we can't put wool on a newborn because she may have ultra sensitive skin. I tried to explain to him that the wool covers we have for Sam don't feel anything like my wool sweaters (wool covers are SO much softer). I have a senstivity to wool but my 2 year old who is alergic to EVERYTHING doesn't have a problem with wool.

What do you expert mamas say?????
Thanks mamas

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I plan on using wool on our babe due in Dec. I have used wool on Ella since she was a few months old and never had a problem at all.
Of course, sensitivity is a possiblity...but its not like you probably couldn't make your money back if you did have to let go of your newborn wool! Tell DH that lots of mama's use wool on newborns and it can only help to try!

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Zach isn't even 3 wks old yet but I've been using wool almost exclusively. I used proraps until his cord fell off (only took several days) then I went right into wool. He's got extremely fair skin (red head) but no sensitivities to wool yet. We use wool covers and soakers, btw. Oh, depending on the size of babies you have, you may want to go straight to size smalls for the wool b/c it is so expensive.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I plan on using a lot of wool on my newborn! LOL I would say you shouldn't worry unless you have a history of a reaction in the family! New babies skin is sensitive but it survives those nasty scratchy paper chemical diapers, soft wool soaker and a beautiful cotton diaper sounds a heck of a lot nicer to me! LOL

·
Registered
340 Posts
My dd has/is diapered with wool covers exclusively since the night she was born- felted wool bum sweaters, knit wool soakers and wool wraps. No problems, she has had absolutely no rash or redness in her 2.5 months. We love wool, it's soft, breathable and reliable!
If you have a well fitting diaper underneath it you shouldn't have much trouble with blowouts, even so, my dd has gotten poop on her cover maybe 4 times, I just give it a quick rinse and hang it up, no biggie!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much for all the wonderful responses everyone
I bought a couple of wool soakers and covers on Ebay so we'll have a few to try but I'm pretty sure she'll be fine. I showed my dh all your responses so he's "giving in" and saying we should definitly try wool to see if she'll be ok with it
Which to me is to green light to buy buy buy
LOL

I won't go too crazy because I'm not sure about sizing. My last baby was over 10 pounds when he was born (and he was bron 2 weeks early) but I'm not measuring really big this time so I'm expecting her to be about 7 pounds or so. I have been getting a bit too many newborn dipes because they're SO cute but should probably start getting slightly bigger.

Anyway, thank you SO much for your responses- before I was thinking I'd just have a few wool, but now I'm thinking about going with mostly wool- thanks!

PS. Another question- do you put mostly fitted in them? Prefolds? Are fitted best for those newborn blowouts?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"OOPSBROKEN CONDOM" I saw your screen name and laughed out loud so loudly that my two sleeping labs jumped up and started barking. That cracks me up!!!!!

I could have called myself- "Birth Control pills didn't work very well the first time since I got pregnant with twins". ORRRRR..... this current pregnancy "See, breastfeeding is NOT a good form of birth control" But that would be too long of a screen name
LOL But I have to say, I'm SURE glad that the BC didn't work!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't imagine my life without my (soon to be) 4 kids. (ironically, when we were trying for Sam it tool almost a year- go figure)

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
We have been using wool since the beginning...well, actually, technically, I didn't use any covers at all for about the first 5 days or so. We were staying pretty low-key, although we did go out a few times. I just changed him as soon as he was wet, and he never wet much while he was sleeping.

Anyway, I am using wool covers exclusively and have not had any problems with skin sensitivities. I love wool!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.