Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello MDC friends,

we have finally decided to homeschool. (Yay!) Originally we had thought our 3.5 yo would stay in his preschool while 5.5 was home with me FT (5.5 yo was in preschool last year with him, same classroom). We quickly decided the logistics and personal sides of that arrangement were inhospitable. so everyone's home now. Hooray!

My life is a great mix of pt home-based work and hs. We are looking for (and think we may have found, for the next couple of months anyway) a pt childcare person for the 10 hours a week of work I need to do.

but what I'm dealing with at the moment is that I temporarily don't have 10 hrs a week coverage I need and I'm going nuts with several projects that are begging at me. The kids are watching a video this morning while I scramble and get a couple things done. A small price for a great lifestyle, I know!

But this morning I'm just really bummed, because in order to take advantage of most of our day I had to get this work out of the way early. In the process I prematurely quashed a great round of pretend, and the kids asking me all about Blackbeard the pirate (which I would have quickly researched and dramatized for them in their ready state, thus completing the first history lesson of the day), so that I can finish a promised work project.

it kills me to miss a teachable moment like that!
: And videos are so naturally addictive that it kills me to even suggest they watch a video in the AM on a beautiful late summer day (we generally have a very strict 4 pm video hour to avoid the all-day video slump).

so, I just need some support, some perspective, some ideas. The 10 hours of work a week are partly needed for income, but also for a bit of hs planning and my sanity.

not trying to feel sorry for myself here! I know how good I have it; I just need reminding that I'm on the right path and I'll figure it out.

How do you all balance hs & work?

OK, back to the grind, trying not to kick myself too hard, awaiting your wise answers and experience

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I also work out of my home. I am curious if your work is flexible enough that you can do it later. I know it sound simple enough but I also know alot of times it isn't. I try to do most of my work in the evenings when hubby is home. I do graphic and logo design and newsletter layout for a non profit group. There are times when I have a deadline and there is no choice. But I try to plan things so I have flexibility to stop doing something and go be with the kids or go on an outing.

It doesn't always work out that way. Do you have another computer? At times whenthe kids are really into something I will take a couple of minutes to do a search for their topic on their computer and then let them play on the net while I finish up. It's not ideal but they are still learning and happy and I am still working, usually with less interuption so I finish faster.

Really I think it just takes a fews weeks of juggling to get good at it. I wouldn't worry too much. If work gets in the way these next few weeks you will have time to make up the missed lessons. And the kids WILL be interested in stuff again. Don't think of it as a missed learning oppurtunity, Think of it as a postponed one. After a couple of week you will have a smooth rythym and all will be good. I found it takes a little practice

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great. Thanks Amseiler!

I'm also a graphic designer and work mostly with non-profits (less money! more gratifying!). I love it because it channels some of my creativity and it is home-based where need be (though dh & I share an office downtown, which I hope to be going to again). The deadlines suck but I take that over working for 'da man'.

thanks for your reassurance. I think it is good already to see how much learning is going without practically any effort on my part. There are some areas which require effort (fine motor--have to be crafty there and see what he enjoys and set him up for that) but the rest is just happening.

we are going to be signing the kids up for an outside class or two and that will help with structuring the week a bit....

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
My kids love working on the computer. My 7 year old has become quite profiencient in an older version of Photoshop. He does some pretty detailed stuff. And my 5 year old can do amazing things with Paint. If your kids are into that kind of thing it is a great fine motor workout!

AM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.