Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do parents who work do with the kids when they are out of school during summer breaks or have various days off?<br><br>
I have considered working once both kids where in school,and then realised I have to plan for those days they are not in school. Someone suggested I work for the school district.What do other parents do?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Actually my SIL started working for the school as a susbsitute. Even though she would only sub at her children's school, it worked out just fine b/c she was called alot. My sister also started out as a sub and ended up w/a permanent position at the school. That would be a great place to start and is something I think about doing after I leave my current job.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Summer camp covers most of the summer. The Y here runs mini-camps during school breaks. DH and I split up our vacation time to cover the school closings during the year. Someday we will vacation as a family again. Sometimes I bring the kids to work with me for the day.<br><br>
Working for the school district is my dream.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Summer camps are a great option for those who don't work for the school district. I would also recommend getting to know a reliable high school student, who would have the same in-service days off and such that parents don't usually get. When I was in high school, I did a lot of babysitting on in-service days, and even on snowdays.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I use summer daycamp (it's a lot more expensive than after-school care, though), and my holiday schedule meshes fairly well with my daughter's; when it doesn't, that's just when either I or my husband takes a vacation day. Her regular after-school care is open full days on teacher work days and for about half of her Christmas break, so those are taken care of if I can't take the day off.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I mostly used summer day camps so far. I have friends that have had great success with hiring teachers over the summer -- mostly from different schools than their kids went to to avoid "teachers pet" issues. Or local college students who are looking for a summer nanny spot are a good bet. Or some combination of all of the above. Either way, you need to line up your options early -- by about March or so things start to fill up.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
In the past, I have used summer camps. "Field trips", movies, time at the pool where the norm.<br><br>
Now, my kids are older, and I work at night anyway, so it isnt an issue. For me, I only schedule myself two days in a row, this way it doesnt impact the kids so much (I am a RN).<br><br>
But my kids really liked summer camp. And most of those cover during spring break, Christmas break, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts