Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,...112746,00.html

Quote:
"We made mistakes," said Wal-Mart Germany's CEO David Wild in a recent interview with the Welt am Sonntag newspaper. "Many of our (product) buyers in Germany were Americans. Some real goof-ups occurred as a result."

"Like, did you know that American pillowcases are a different size than German ones are?" he asked. Wal-Mart Germany ended up with a huge pile of pillowcases they couldn't sell to German customers.
That's outright stupid

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Here's the main point...."The company has been embroiled in controversy over pay and conditions. It has also come in for fierce criticism over the effect its low prices are said to have on suppliers and smaller local stores."

There ya go. The germans won't put up with crappy benefits, work environment, and unethical practices.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
And Walmart tried to sell American pillowcases, which apparently are the wrong size/shape... then wondered what the problem was?

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by timneh_mom
And Walmart tried to sell American pillowcases, which apparently are the wrong size/shape... then wondered what the problem was?

As said, it's not just that, but that statement by wal-mart left me dumbstruck.

No, really, they DON'T use AMERICAN sized pillows elsewhere? What's next, no miles and $$$?

·
Registered
12,662 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by huggerwocky
As said, it's not just that, but that statement by wal-mart left me dumbstruck.

No, really, they DON'T use AMERICAN sized pillows elsewhere? What's next, no miles and $$$?

Probably had a whole line of measuring cups using pints, quarts and gallons too. American sizes on shoes and clothing, rulers with inches and yard sticks in the back to school section.

What small mindedness.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfp02
Wow, I wonder how many lost their jobs for picking to put the company there and not researching these things?!
I bet no one, I didn't get this piece of information on any american news website, officially they are citing a difficult business climate.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe

There ya go. The germans won't put up with crappy benefits, work environment, and unethical practices.
and Americans do so with glee.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hey, it's American. We have the answers to all people's needs around the world. It's like, if you speak English loudly and slowly everyone can understand it. What a great language, hu? It couldn't possibly be that the rest of the world lives differently? Naw. Heck, they'll get used to our stuff. Just give them time. Frankly, I think it was all the smiling. Germans don't like smiles during business transactions. It means someone is trying to pull something over on you. Other cultures, too. But, they're right in this case. Walmart had a great big ol' smile.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
This really jumped out at me:

"A German court ruled last year against the company's attempt to introduce a telephone hotline for employees to inform on their colleagues.

High labor costs may have been a big hurdle for Wal-Mart Germany, as well as workers who tried to resist management's demands which they felt were unjust.

One Wal-Mart employee told the newsmagazine Der Spiegel that management had threatened to close certain stores if staff did not agree to work to working longer hours than their contracts foresaw and did not permit video surveillance of their work."

(sorry i nevre figured out how to quote from a linked source)

Yes, mahdohkt is right. American consumers and workers do accept it with glee. Too bad for the workers and their families. Good for the Germans for telling Wal Mart where to go.

On a side note, part of what Tata said is a reference to a completely unfounded, anecdotal story my father likes to tell. As follows.

My dad loves Wal Mart. He loves his idea of Germany. (And important disclaimer: he knows almost nothing about real Germans, German politics, economics, workers' rights, etc.) He likes to tell us, every time we see him, that the Germans loooove WM now but at first were skeptical. He said, "The Germans would walk in there and see a smiling face. Everyone would smile at them - the greeter, the check out, everyone. And they would be skeptical of all those smiles. All that American customer service was just too friendly. But now they love it."
: I've emailed him that link tonight.

What I like about his story is that it shows what many Americans believe about shopping and spending money (consuming), and what little they care about anything else. And by default, what WM and US consuemrism are trying to sell.

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
I hope that Walmart will start having problems in all other countries where they have stores. Perhaps America will look at it all and start to question. I doubt it but it's nice to dream, right? One day Walmart will either be forced out of business everywhere or they will change their ways and become an ethical corporation. I know, my dreams are too far fetched. Sigh.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts