Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now obviously cats can be a tad temperamental, and mine is definitely more so than others... she has a bit of a temper on her... i am worried about her hurting the baby... anyone got any advice?

·
Registered
317 Posts
If you're concerned about the animal's temperament, and it will be a cause of worry, it's not unreasonable to consider finding kitty a new home now, before the baby is born.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The pets are known understand a human infant. Maybe she will accept your child as one of her own. Our neighbor has a cat which not very friendly to others. But, she never hurt their baby. The child grew up playing with her. Now, the cat is old and always at home.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Our cats usually ignored them until they started to walk. Just make sure to start early teaching toddlers not to pull ears & tails and make sure the cat has some places high up or out of the way so they can easily retreat if they need to.
The only time any of my kids ever got scratched was when I didn't supervise well enough and dd1 tried to carry a cat too roughly and she had no choice. My fault and everyone survived. :)

·
Registered
738 Posts
agree

It will be the toddler age that will be the test. It's very unlikely a cat would attack a baby? Not sure what you mean by temperamental.. is she a petting/touching biter? I've met a few cats like that but they usually keep to themselves. It will be crucial not to allow kids to harass her (she isn't a toy), even my super sweet and friendly cat that I used to have, bit a kid who wouldn't leave her alone. She was cornered and afraid after being chased around, it happened at a birthday party. That cat would sleep with my son and put up with all kinds of mauling from him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts