Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if I should put this here or if it should be somewhere else....if so, it can be moved.<br><br>
Anyway, I am a little worried about dd's weight gain. She seems to have stopped gaining weight. She still bf's a great deal and will eat some solids, but she seems more interested in bf'ing.<br><br>
I will get on the scale and then pick her up and see her weight (not the most accurate, but close enough) and so far, her weight hasn't increased since her last dr's appt last month. Should I be worried? I know that a bf'ed baby's weight gain does slow down in later months, but can it stop? Her next appt is in Nov and am concerned that she'll be the same weight then as she is now.<br><br>
She seems happy, she's healthy and can walk holding onto your hands or onto other things, she is crawling, and pulling herself up onto objects, so I guess I really shouldn't worry.<br><br>
Anyone else have a baby who's weight gain has "stopped?"<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Looking at her age in your sig line, she is coming up on a year right? With that in mind, I will say yes it can be totally normal for a baby to stop gaining/slowly gain. BF babies, as a general rule, pack it on in the first six months, then slowly gain over the next six months to have an average wight gain over the course of a year.<br><br>
My ds#1 gained about 6-8 pound the first six months, then maybe 2-4 the next six months. I believe the general rule of thumb is to double their birth weight in a year. So in my ds#1's case, he was 8# 12oz at birth, about 15 pounds at his six month appointment and (I think) 17 or 18 pounds at a year. I remember being so concerned about that piddly gain the second six months, but my DO assured me it was fine and that he was healthy.<br><br>
If she seems healthy, active and alert, than I would say that she is probably fine.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm with sadean, assuming that your dd has the same # of wet & poopy diapers that she's always had.<br><br>
My son is a string bean and a couple of times between appts he grew in height without putting on more than an couple of ounces. But DH is 6'2" and skinny also. If you have long & lean genes in your family or your husband's, this is another reason NOT to worry!

·
Registered
386 Posts
i had a slim baby that took after me, and a hefty baby that took after my husband.<br><br>
they ate similar amounts of the same breastmilk.<br><br>
they followed different genetic codes.<br><br>
when you have another baby, you will feel confident and relaxed, because you will have seen how well things turned out the first time around.<br><br>
don't put the baby off if he wants to nurse. it' easy to do.<br><br>
nurse first, food second. meaning only give him food to experiment with on a full tummy of milk.<br><br>
don't be in a hurry with solids. there is no food as nutritionally complex as your milk. it is high in the right kinds of fats and sugars.<br><br>
anyone who tells you your baby needs food to fatten him up is uninformed.<br><br>
sleeping with your baby supports breastfeeding and the nursing relationship.<br><br>
try an LLL meeting. should find good info and support.<br><br>
rrr

1 - 4 of 4 Posts