Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am actually posting from the February board. My son is two weeks old today. He was born at 37 weeks.<br><br>
I am worried because he is looking around a little but not making any eye contact with anyone (not even me). He dosen't fixate on anything for very long, so it isn't that he is looking at anything else.<br><br>
I remember my other son did look at me this early and the doctor said that he should be doing it now (but isn't worried). I am terrified. My middle son has Autism and I know I am reading too much into every little thing.<br><br>
Does this sound like it could be normal?<br><br>
Thanks Raquel

·
Registered
276 Posts
I remember worrying about that alot, I am a special ed. teacher so I tend to read too much into every little thing. I know my son did not make eye contact very much until later than that, I don't remember quite when he started, but it seems like I stopped worrying about 3 months. He makes eye contact all of the time now- he is just 7 months. HTH

·
Registered
824 Posts
My ds2 is 4 weeks now and still isn't making much eye contact. I was concerned too. At my 2 wk visit with my midwives I asked and they said it's normal to not have much eye contact until 6-8 wks. I think ds1 was making eye contact by at least 4 wks, but I could be remembering wrong. I'm trying not to worry, but it's so hard isn't it?

·
Registered
335 Posts
It's normal - they can't really "see" out of their fovea for a few weeks (wiring isn't there yet) so mostly they just respond to movement in their peripheral vision.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
First of all, congratulations! Secondly, he still hasn't reached gestational age so that's definitely one reason not to worry. Does he have alert eyes or does he have a look in his eyes kind of like the lights are on but nobody's home? (he doesn't have to be looking at anything in particular, but there's a definite difference)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Of the sensory organs, the eyes are the last thing to develop and the first thing to go with old age. His eyes probably aren't focusing very well yet. I bet he'll be looking around in no time! FWIW, my little guy didn't really attend to anything for the first couple of weeks either, but now he's very alert and loves to look at stuff.

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
At two weeks he can only see the distance between your boob and face anyways. Eye contact will come. One of the mistakes newbie moms make is to chase their babies eyeballs around. In fact, when they look away, it's their sign that they have "had enough" for the moment.<br><br>
I ran a new mom's group for seven years, I used to get this one a lot.<br><br>
And if baby cries when someone else holds him, that person may have forgotten that babies don't like the big stare thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts