Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi we are leaving for Europe in a month and a half. I am nursing my ds and i am worried about others/the airlines having a "problem" with this. It's not enough that I have to worry about him behaving... My supportive dh will be with us, thank God. But I am still nervous!! help any advise??

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I just flew with my very large (wearing 2t) 18mo. We had no trouble, and nursed throughout the flight. I was sitting on the aisle.

My (nursing in potentially hostile territory) suggestion is to make eye contact with/be friendly and polite with the flight attendants. I feel like it generates positive friendly energy and *since it's most of the rules on the plane are at the flight attendants discretion, it helps to smooth the way.

I think everyone prefers a happy nursing toddler to a hungry loud toddler any day.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
I wouldn't worry. You're going to europe and europeans are generally much more relaxed about these things.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I finished travelling to and from the states with my children. My two almost three year old is still nursing and I was worried about comments/looks from the flight attendants. Thing is, it never happened. Granted, I did try to conform and cover up the best I could (DS hates to be covered and pulled it off every time I tried), but most of the time he wasn't covered and nobody said a word about it. Also, when we first moved to Japan, DS was almost a year and very big, I actually had a really friendly flight attendant comment on how much she missed nursing her daughter
Have a great trip, and worry about other things like not taking enough dipes
(we actually didn't take enough panties for my DD who began to have a lot of accidents on this last trip
: )

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I nursed my then-15 month old while he was sitting in a carseat on the plane, on multiple flights, this summer. No one ever said anything. (BTW, purchasing an extra seat for him and bringing our car seat was the BEST decision we ever made! It made things so easy and comfortable.)

We had the last row 2 times (which is nice) but for 2 flights we were in the middle of the airplane. No big deal! The people behind us loved playing peekaboo! Not while I was nursing mind you (all they could see was my back, I'm sure) but when he woke up, they loved him!

PS. I can nurse him in a carseat and stay in my own seatbelt. If you couldn't do that, then I wouldn't recommend it, as it wouldn't be safe. I guess I have magical (read: floppy and big) boobs

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexisyael View Post
PS. I can nurse him in a carseat and stay in my own seatbelt. If you couldn't do that, then I wouldn't recommend it, as it wouldn't be safe. I guess I have magical (read: floppy and big) boobs

WOw that's talent!! I did do this once in the car on the highway when ds was screaming. My boobs were stretched to max though...
and it WAS NOT very comfortable!

thanks everyone for your support. I am so glad everyone had good experiences to share! I will just be smiling alot and saying lots of prayers.
We did get a seat for him and are planning on bringing his carseat too. lots for little toys to pull out as needed one by one!

love the suggestions if anyone has anymore let me know...thanks SOOOO much!

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Yeah, it was actually a lot easier on the airplane than in our car (we have a Mazda 5, which has two captain seats in the back... I have to scootch and stretch REALLy a lot to BF in that car. It isn't really safe, since I have my seatbelt stretched all to heck, too.
We usually pull over.) On the airplane, I was totally sitting upright and everything!

BTW, books were a favorite of my son's on the airplane...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.