Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH has expressed to me on several occasions that, while he agrees with hs'ing, he is concerned that DS doesn't have many friends. He is worried that ds won't have the same opportunities we did to choose friends from the larger groups he would have access to in public school/private school. I would like some ideas/opinions on addressing this topic with dh.

I am currently unschooling (ds is a preschooler), and he has learned a great deal of science and automotive stuff. He loves to "work" with dh. We go to the park almost daily where we meet various friends. He is very intelligent and asks so many questions, so I never feel like he has had an unproductive day. BUT, still the concern about friends weighs on my mind.

Just ideas/experiences would be helpful.
TIA!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Most people have the concern about "socialization" when they either hear about HS'ing or start considering it for their dc. Your oportunities will be different than in PS. If you're lucky to have other families in the neighborhood, there's one oportunity. There are HS park groups, check online for local families & start one of your own, check your library or ask if you can post a note or something looking for HS'ers. There's a penpal thread you can & see if there's someone his age to write to. Some parents say their kids draw pictures for each other. The oportunities are out there, but it can take a little while to find others if you live in a small area.

Good luck!

·
Registered
727 Posts
I think it is very age-appropriate to be in preschool and not have what we adults think of as "friends". As they get older, they go through different levels of playing and will begin to seek out other kids who are good playing buddies. In preschool, friendships usually are based on what parents initiate as well as who they play with on a regular basis, not necessarily because that child is the best playmate.

My two children have naturally gravitated towards close friendships(beyond
my own playgroup scheduling) around age 6 or so. Before this they would pretty much play with anyone and anybody, and everyone was their friend(they still do this much of the time).

These days they have a specific person(or persons) they would like to invite over, they share similar interests as well as showing an interest of getting to know each other better and wanting to be a good friend.

As long as you get involved in your community and do your part in helping foster friendships(befriending the parents, making time for playdates, etc), you probably won't have a shortage of kids to interact with. Kids meet each other in the oddest of places, even while drooling over their favorite cereal in the supermarket. Be open and welcoming and see where it takes you.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Preschoolers don't have friends imo. I mean they are friends with other children who attend the same daycare/preschool/whatever but they'll play with whoever is there. Friends aren't the other children who have to be there too like in an institutional setting.

My children are friends with children in the neighborhood that they see as well as the children they see in the activities they want to do (scouts) not where they have to be (school).

Your child has his whole life ahead of him to make friends. No need to worry about that now esp since he is so very young!

Sincerely,
Debra, homeschooling mom of 4 ages 10, 9, 7, and 3 1/2

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.