Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need my wisdom teeth extracted very soon (I'll find out Monday how soon) and I have a 3 month old nursling.

I'm concerned about the procedure - will it affect my supply, when can I nurse again, etc. I'm also concerned because she will not take a bottle.

Any suggestions, info or BTDT advice? TIA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,993 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
644 Posts
I had to go 48 hours w/o nursing my then-2 mo last month. Fortunately I knew it would happen since before he was born since it was a scheduled thing (MRI with contrast - the contrast i s the problem). Unfortunately, I had understood it would 24 hours and had stored up exactly 50 ozs by then, then the day of found out it would be 48 hours and DS probably should have had more milk than I had saved. It was hard for me bc DS kept wanting to nurse and it made me cry that I couldn't let him. He'd take the bottle, and fast, but then still turn to the breast and it was so sad. Then after two days of bottles, it took some extra time and effort to get him back to nursing well. Hopefully your experience will be better and a much shorter timeframe.

The anesthesia is waht matters. What are you having for that? If you get general anesthesia, they usually say wait 24 hours to nurse again. If you get local, no wait time necessary.

If you';re gonna need to bottle feed, start pumping and storing today. A lot of ppl recommend pumping once after baby goes to bed if you're still awake, right before you go to bed. Then after baby's first morning feeding since you'll probably have more milk then. You can also pump after every feeding, you mihgt only get .5 oz but it will add up quickly over the day and stimulate more production.

If you're in dire need to get more saved fast, and baby is sleeping four or more hours, get yourself up to pump every 2 hours while baby sleeps.

For feeding, try a bottle on baby today. Most babies will take it esp if it has a level one nipple. If not, try cup feeding with a little medicine measuring cup, slowly so baby doesn't choke on it. Cup feedings are done for LO's right after birth who need bottles to avoid nipple confusion, so your LO should do fine at this age.

Good luck with the procedure and the restarting of nursing! Hope you don't end up in too much pain!


ETA: to keep your supply up, pump every time baby eats during the bottle-feeding hours. So if baby eats every 2 hours, pump every 2 hours. Easiest to do right after baby eats so you're on the same schedule.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,976 Posts
As mariacm said, it's all about the drugs involved. Definately look it up yourself. IME providers say not to nurse on just about everything
. I had a lot of oral surgery done (some of it sedated) when dd2 was 6 mos old and was able to nurse without interruption. Dh did try to give her milk in a cup right after and that was enough time for me to let everthing wear off.

I see you are in WNC too, who's doing the extraction? I unfortunately have been to most of the ones in/near A-ville.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post
You will likely be able to nurse as soon as you are able to hold baby after the procedure. Kellymom has great info (see below.) If you nurse right beforehand your baby probably won't need any more milk until you can feed again, so you won't have to worry about the bottle.

Good luck with it - I hope it goes well for you!

http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/dentalwork.html

http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-surgery.html

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/pain-meds.html
Thanks for the links - very helpful!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mariacm View Post
It was hard for me bc DS kept wanting to nurse and it made me cry that I couldn't let him. He'd take the bottle, and fast, but then still turn to the breast and it was so sad. Then after two days of bottles, it took some extra time and effort to get him back to nursing well. Hopefully your experience will be better and a much shorter timeframe.
Thanks. That's what I'm most fearful of. I know how sad she'll be if she can't nurse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormborn View Post
I see you are in WNC too, who's doing the extraction? I unfortunately have been to most of the ones in/near A-ville.

I'm 45 minutes outside of A'ville. I lived in A'ville for years then moved about a year and a half ago so I'm using a local dentist.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,955 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mariacm View Post
The anesthesia is waht matters. What are you having for that? If you get general anesthesia, they usually say wait 24 hours to nurse again. If you get local, no wait time necessary.
untrue. with general anesthesia, once you are awake and able to safely hold baby you can nurse. i nursed ds2 2 hrs after i woke up from my csec.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,993 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mariacm View Post
If you get general anesthesia, they usually say wait 24 hours to nurse again. If you get local, no wait time necessary.
Just a note that while 'they' may say wait 24 hours after general anesthesia, there is usually no reason at all to wait or to pump and discard the milk. After general anesthesia there is most often no need to wait at all before nursing. When mom can hold baby safely to nurse she can nurse.

I posted all the kellymom links above. Also here is a good one for the AAP: http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...;108/3/776.pdf

Speaking with the dentist or anesthesiologist before hand is a good idea. You can get a list of the medications they plan to use, and insist that they use ones that are compatible with breastfeeding. Thomas Hale's Medication and Mother's Milk is a great reference text.

There are very few medications that are not compatible with breastfeeding. Unfortunately few health care professionals have taken the time to familiarize themselves with this concept!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post
Just a note that while 'they' may say wait 24 hours after general anesthesia, there is usually no reason at all to wait or to pump and discard the milk. After general anesthesia there is most often no need to wait at all before nursing. When mom can hold baby safely to nurse she can nurse.

I posted all the kellymom links above. Also here is a good one for the AAP: http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...;108/3/776.pdf

Speaking with the dentist or anesthesiologist before hand is a good idea. You can get a list of the medications they plan to use, and insist that they use ones that are compatible with breastfeeding. Thomas Hale's Medication and Mother's Milk is a great reference text.

There are very few medications that are not compatible with breastfeeding. Unfortunately few health care professionals have taken the time to familiarize themselves with this concept!
Thanks so much! I have an appt on Monday and I'm going to talk to the dentist about the medications.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,993 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mama2myloves View Post
Thanks so much! I have an appt on Monday and I'm going to talk to the dentist about the medications.
Great idea. You may want to take along the AAP guidelines so that your dentist can find the best medications for you and your breastfeeding baby!

Sometimes they take the "you can't nurse" attitude - that's a good time to bring up the health risks of not breastfeeding and insitstance that they consult and expert (Thomas Hale's book and the AAP guidelines are a good place to start!!!)

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
644 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post
untrue. with general anesthesia, once you are awake and able to safely hold baby you can nurse. i nursed ds2 2 hrs after i woke up from my csec.
I had heard the 24-wait rule for years when I worked at a hospital, but glad to hear that it's not the case.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top