Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read all the posts on the 6 to 9 month old frequent wakers and it has made me feel better to know I am not the only one. But in addition to frequent waking, I am really concerned that my 7 month old dd is not getting enough sleep. Each night just gets worse and worse. I have seen no signs of teeth and something tells me that isn't it. She hasn't had any big developmental changes recently. We were out of town last week but she has been in her regular routine for almost a week. She doesn't have a cold and isn't exhibiting any signs of ear aches.<br><br>
Here was last night:<br>
Bed at 8:15 after bedtime routine and nursing<br>
Up at 8:30<br>
Bed at 9:00 after rocking with daddy<br>
Up at 9:30<br>
Bed at 10:00 after nursing<br>
Up at 12, 2 and 4 and bed after nursing for about 30 minutes<br>
Up at 5<br>
Rocked with daddy for about an hour<br>
Nursed with mom for about 30 minutes and never really went back to sleep!<br><br>
She has now been up for 6 hours and has only had a 30 minute nap. She was on a long walk and didn't fall asleep. She isn't terribly cranky but she also isn't the happy baby she normally is. I am so concerned. She used to sleep 12 hours at night with 3 or 4 wakings and take two naps anywhere from 1 to 2 hours. I don't think she is getting enough sleep. Any advice? Should I call the doctor?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
my son was very much like your DD at his age. i <i>knew</i> there was something wrong. i could not put my finger on it, but i knew there was something going on.<br><br>
i gave up dairy, it helped somewhat. but he still woke every 40 min all night long. after 8 or 9 months i decided to try giving up eggs (as he really enjoyed them, i thought he might be craving an allergenic food), and he started sleeping much better.<br><br>
we got him tested for allergies, the RAST test some months later, he is also allergic to corn, carrots and peanuts. we've given that all up and he is sleeping much better.<br><br>
look into allergies, be forewarned that the RAST test is not a good reliable test of her allergies. the elimination diet is <b>much</b> more accurate. look into silent reflux and look into sleep apnea. these are the things i was looking into when i was trying to find out what was going on w/his sleep.<br><br>
hth<br>
amy

·
Registered
78 Posts
This sounds exactly like my DD at that age. She's somewhat better now, but we still have nights like the one you gave as an example and she's now 1yr. She has never taken naps that average more than 45-60 min at a time.<br><br>
She slept through the night until I went back to work. I've never had a lot of success with pumping so we had to supplement with formula. That's when this all started. I knew she was reacting to something in the formula and we experimented with a couple of different brands with no luck. We finally narrowed it down to a sensitivity to corn syrup and have switched her to whole milk. She is MUCH better. But by now, the waking up every couple of hours thing has become habit. So like I said, it's getting better, but not entirely. Good luck. I wish I had more advice for you. I would definitely look into an elimination diet.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sorry to jump in on your thread..but I am so interested to hear about the food allergy connection...I strongly suspect this with my dd, who has pretty much the same sleeping sched as yours...she does nap longer, but only because I wear her in a sling for her naps.<br><br>
I am currently cutting out wheat in addition to all the things I have already cut out-nuts, dairy, shellfish, citrus, soy...<br><br>
I don't have it in me to do a total elimination diet at this time-I am suffering enough with this sleep thing and my diet as it is already! The wheat is the most obvious-the one big allergen I haven't cut out...<br><br>
Sure hope it works, and I hope you find answers too!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts