Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past couple of days Tharen has been horribly cranky. When I put him to the breast he sucks a bit and they cries. At first I didn't think much of it, maybe he was just getting another tooth or something. But now I am starting to get worried. He is cranky all the time and constantly wanting to nurse/grabbing at my breasts. But when I put him to the breast he cries. It is the worst on the right side (my left side has always been the bigger producer which is what got me wondering). It seems to be taking forever for me to feel the milk letting down, and he seems to be coming away from the breast still hungry. Then last night I tried to pump a little bit to put on Kearnan's diaper rash (I know it sounds weird but it works wonders) and I could barely get anything. Now I know pumping doesn't produce as much as a nursing babe, and all I use is a little manual pump, and I haven't been a big pumper, but I used to be able to fill a 5 oz bottle in 5 mins from one breast. Last night I tried both and didn't even get half an ounce. It was enough for what I needed it for, but it made me even more concerned. I can't figure out what is going on. Could I really be loosing my milk? Why would this happen? Tharen is barely eating any solids, and nursing at least 10 times a day still. He is a huge eater. I nursed Kearnan till he weaned himself at 2.5 yrs and I still had milk left long after he stopped nursing. I over produced something fierce with him, and was doing the same at the begining of nursing Tharen. But now I'm not so sure. My breasts don't get full and hard at night any more, and I am not leaking, somethign that didn't happen with Kearnan until he was down to nursing just in the morning, at bedtime and naptime. ANy one have any ideas?

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
How are his diapers? Wetting enough?

Do you have any hormonal condition like PCOS or any thyroid condition? Might be worth checking out.

I wouldn't worry about the not pumping enough...it is hard to let down when you're stressed. (And mother's milk does rock for treating sore little bums!)

The lack of leaking and engorgement are totally normal and don't necessarily indicate a supply prob.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.