Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>and now actually, weight loss in my 28 month old.<br><br>
DS was 10lbs 2oz. and 22 inches long at birth and gained weight rapidly in the first 4 months of his life, when I was home and nursing on demand. He was 20lbs. by 4months. After that he stopped gaining and by the time he was walking (13months) he was tall for his age and skinny as a twig, about 17lbs. Last year in November he was up to 21lbs but then got sick and by the end of his 3 week bought with croup was back down to 17lbs. About 3 weeks ago he had a bad cold and I took him to the doctor to make sure it was just a cold and he was up to 27lbs. He was still looking thin but that is a 10lb gain in a year so I wasn't too worried. A week after the trip to the doc we both had a stomach flu and puked a ton. This weekend I measured him and he is 37 1/2 inches tall (90th% for height) and only 22.6lbs (less than 3rd% for weight)! His bones are poping out and people are commenting on how skinny he is. I am sure he lost the weight from being sick but I am suddenly feeling very worried about him.<br><br>
His appettite is good sometimes and bad others, I figured pretty typical for a toddler. He eats a great lunch for his care providers and snack with his dad in the afternoon but doesn't ever really want dinner. He doesn't eat any dairy, except eggs and I have added meat into his diet where as before we were eating a vegan diet. He loves tuna, sardines, sometime ground turkey. He is so hit or miss when it comes to food. I buy coconut milk yogurt which he usually loves. Does this seem like something I should take him to the doctor for? I feel terrible for letting him get so thin but it seems so out of my control! He is still nursing at night and gets a bottle of almond milk 1-2x a week for naps or sleepovers with dad. Should I switch this to a bottle of goats milk? or perhaps full fat yogurt blended with rice milk? <br><br>
He poops everyday in the evening, always on schedule and quite a bit. Though I have noticed his poops are very pale... is this clue to something? He also has little tiny bumps all over his stomach and spots on his legs. He has had eczema since he was babe (hence the no dairy) and I just figured this was another form of it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>He does occasionaly tell me he is hungry so I know he recognizes the sensation and we always get him something to eat when he says it. But lately he wakes up in the morning and says his belly hurts and he wants me to rub it. I always assume its hunger but maybe something else is going on?<br><br>
He is very bright, articulate and developmentally on track or advanced in some cases, but I still worry about him.<br><br>
Help me put some fat on my skinny childs bones!</p>

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
<p>How pale are his poops?  Very pale (chalky) poo can be a signal that the liver isn't making bile.  I only know because once after a severe vomiting bug my DD had white poo for a few days and the GP said it's not all that uncommon after such a virus as the body "rests" its systems during recovery.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If i was worried i'd go to the doctor, just to be sure.  My DD wakes starving, but never has stomach pain from it.</p>

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
<p>How pale are his stools? That coupled with the belly pain would make me want to at least consult with the doc over the phone, maybe make an appointment as well... I'd also be concerned that it appears he has lost 15-20% of his body weight -- I would expect a couple pounds' loss due to illness but it sounds like he lost quite a bit so maybe there is something more going on, maybe liver issues like the pp mentioned or perhaps something like celiac (which often presents with a rash too....) I guess from what you said, yeah, I'd get him checked out, it could be as simple as illness & using a different scale but there seem to be enough issues going on that this warrants further investigation IMO.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts