Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, our daughter finished Grade 5, and we are extremely relieved that her teacher is out of our lives. The man, Mr. C, was a loose canon and a bully to the children, he was inconsistent, unreasonable, disrespectful; and he got scarier and weirder as the year progressed.

Some of the other moms in this teacher's class are good friends of mine, and we have coffee together most Fridays, and the stories our kids told us all matched.

We had many family meetings about what to do with this teacher, and by the time we realized just how bad he had become, the year was almost over and all we could do was tell our daughter to stay away from him, watch him, and coach her how to act around him.

There were too many afternoons where our daughter came home, opened up, and cried. Many days she had to act all day like she didn't care when Mr. C was being particularly mean to her or the class.

Some Examples:

1. Daughter read a news story about the Western Tent Caterpillar (common here in the Spring) and how some people don't like them in their gardens and how they are poisoning the caterpillars to get rid of them. She was HORRIFIED! She loves those little guys; she has played with them every Spring for seven years.

She designed and printed up flyers explaining that the Western Tent Caterpillar has a right to live here, too, and that if you poison them you poison all of us, etc., and handed them out to her friends. Mr. C wanted one, so she gave him a flyer, and after looking at it he went into detail how he loves to kill them every Spring. On and on he talked about how he hates them and how he likes to kill them in mass numbers.

Two weeks later, he brought it up again to her out of the blue, and demonstrated to her how he stomps them! She reacted wonderfully, she just shrugged and walked away. But both times she came home and cried. (On the upside, she did raise awareness to many of her friends who now call themselves "caterpillar protectors", lol.)

2. Mr. C had nicknames for some (not all) of the kids, and the nicknames were always derogatory. One little girl who always followed him around and whom he would let sit in his chair at his desk all the time in front of the class he always referred to as "Stinky."

3. He took away all control from the kids regarding their grades. This is unforgivable for a teacher to do. It didn't matter what kind of work the children did, as far as any of us can see, he graded them according to his opinion!

Our daughter never had regular homework to do. She did have (only!) three projects to work on at home, and she worked on each one for about 15-20 hours, really gave them her best. She did an amazing job each time, but never got any feedback on them. She never got them back, never got a grade on them, never heard a comment, nothing.

The quizzes and tests were never returned to the kids, reports were never seen again, nobody knew what grades they made each session. Parents had no idea how their kids were doing, we never saw homework, test grades, anything but the three projects. And never knew what grade those got, either!

The only feedback was report cards, and they seemed very low to everybody, then every child's grades slowly went up each of the three sessions. All the same.

On our first parent/teacher meeting, we asked Mr. C for a list of our daughter's grades but he couldn't give us anything. We asked to see tests and quizzes and he said they weren't available.

In our second meeting, he showed us a paragraph our daughter wrote while doing an exercise on the parts of the paragraph. It looked fine to husband and I; she made the first sentence engaging and explanatory, she gave the details in subsequent sentences, then had a nice summary sentence. Mr. C said, "She was not giving this paragraph everything she could, she should have been more much creative in the paragraph!"

My husband pointed out, "But the exercise is writing a paragraph while demonstrating the three parts; she did that perfectly fine. The assignment wasn't to be creative, it was a grammar exercise." And who can be "on" and creative all the time anyway? I thought. But that's how Mr. C. graded - on how HE THOUGHT each child should be answering.

4. When Mr. C doesn't like what you are asking, he says "I don't know what you mean" and you rephrase and repeat several times and he keeps saying, "I don't know what you mean" until you give up.

5. He always told the kids that they should come to him with questions, but then he would get mad or belittle the kid if they actually did ask him something. Our daughter asked him to explain what "special spelling 'thing'" meant (she had been absent the day before), and after several "I don't know what you mean" answers he took her outside through the outside door and screamed at her!!!

6. He hated for the children to tell their parents anything, he said they should only come to him. (Thankfully, our daughter talks to us.)

7. He made up demeaning sayings using the real names of the some of the kid in his class, like "Don't pull a Thomas" or "Don't do a Linda."

8. One of my friends has a son in a wheelchair (Mr. C particularly liked to pick on him all year) and one day after Mr. C was writing on the chalkboard, he said, "Oh YUCK" while looking at the chalk on his hands, and went over to my friend's son and wiped his hands all over the boy's shirt. (And this is just one example of the kind of disrespect that went on all year.)

I could go on and on but have to stop at some point. Thank you for reading; it felt good to write that out!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I take it there have been complaints made about him, because that behaviour is so utterly unacceptable, I can't believe any headteacher would keep him on?!

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Can you write this out and present it to the school board? Or at the very least a principal?

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
Can you write this out and present it to the school board? Or at the very least a principal?
: especially since you know that there are other parents who agree with you.... you will have more of an impact together. this guy should not be allowed to behave this way. its completely unacceptable.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I am horrified. No teacher should act like that, and no parent should sit back and accept it! Who is advocating for the children of this school??

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm a teacher and I'll be the first to ask: Didn't anyone go to the principal or superintendent?

I've worked with a couple of crazy people before. Most of the time principals are aware of the teacher's problems. The best way to get something done is for parents to complain. (Fellow teachers have probably complained, but our opinion usually doesn't count!
)

This guy sounds seriously disturbed. If all of your kids' stories match, why don't you and the other parents approach the principal? If that doesn't work, go higher! I would hate for a child to be in that room!

I hope your daughter has a great year in sixth grade!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
This went on ALL year and you left your daughter in the class to deal with it? As the quote says, "All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men (and women!) to do nothing." This man needs to lose his teaching license and never be allowed to work with children again!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Ya know what. Ive dealt with all kinds of crazy teachers, in my educational experience and in my children's. I wanted to start another thread about 'Dont you ever really just want to homeschool but you cant?' Sigh. Honestly, if it were me, I would, even tho its end of year already, I would definately print out everything you told me... have all your parent friends sign it and send it off to either the school board, or to the principal or someone in charge. Have your parent friends write up their own experiences. Anyway, ... goodness that teacher sounds disturbed. If you have to request your dd doesnt get him again.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the responses.

My husband and I DID go to the principal twice before we realized it was useless. Unfortunately Mr. C is in a position of power in the school district here, and the principal of the school is a bobble-head (nods and agrees but does nothing).

It was insidious, though, like I said originally. Mr. C wasn't that bad the first session, and we gave him the benefit of the doubt at first. We had hopes things would improve the second session.

We couldn't really tell if things were better or not until the end of the second session. Then he started getting really mean and we decided (during a family meeting) that our daughter would ride out the last three months. She begged to stay in her school until the end. It would have been very unfair to her (she is a very social person) to take her out of the school at the very end of her last & 6th year at the elementary school, and take her away from all of her friends and and have her miss her year-end grad ceremony, etc. Why should an idiot teacher take all that away from her, too?

The moms and I and my husband realized that the more we complained and protested, the more nasties were directed at our children. So we laid low and waited it out. We coached our kids how to react to Mr. C.

We are absolutely writing an extremely strong letter to the school board. In fact, I was working on the letter last night and getting more and more steamed which is why I took some of the examples and posted them here. There is also a exit questionnaire to fill out from the school district and I'm working on that, too. But this stuff had to be done now, when Mr. C can no longer take it out on our kid(s).

·
Banned
11,594 Posts
up with caterpillar protectors!

on the plus side, you have given your daughter some great skills that she will carry into adulthood.

i was teased in school pretty harshly from age 9 on (teacher's included) and my parents, for whatever reasons, didn't want to home school (though, they nwo say that *i* didn't want them to, even though i begged them to).

long and short, it sucked, but i'm a tough cookie now. so, silver lining?

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Wow, that's awful! I would have had to pull my daughter out of a classroom like that. It sounds like you have a good chance of making some waves with the support of the other parents. With all the job choices available, I don't understand why some of the people who seem to hate children the most decide to be teachers! I guess it's a sadistic kind of thing.

And can I just add that you are lucky your daughter said something to you. A lot of kids just accept the authority of their horrible teachers and actually think they'll get in trouble for saying anything.

·
Premium Member
22,696 Posts
That's horrible. I'd want to picket the school, have the parents of the child in a wheelchair file harassment charges, flood the school board and the local papers with letters. Is there any kind of formal process that you can go through and escalate it up the chain?

·
Registered
454 Posts
I am a teacher and a former union rep. My assumption is that this teacher is tenured and has worked in the district for some time. Depending on the state and the district, teachers need to be evaluated either every year, every two years or sometimes can go 5 years between evaluations. Becasue tenure rules and regualtions ensure that a teacher be granted due process by their administrations and districts, it is difficult for a prinicipal to "fire" a teacher on his/her own. This is the probable reason why the principal does nothing when verbal complaints are brought to his/her attention. ONLY written complaints with specific examples that SHOW a pattern over time can be used in a legal proceeding to "fire" or reasign a tenured teacher. The reason for this is so that teachers who have "differences" with the administration don't get fired and that there are real reasons for dismissal. It sounds to me like there are real reasons for this teacher to be kept far away from kids. The difficulty is that the school year is over and the teacher can no longer be observed in the classroom displaying inappropriate bahavior. Most likely, parents of years past have had the same problems and like you have waited until the end of the year to address the administration. Then, it just becomes easier for the administration to delay and postpone action until the following school year when new and seemingly more pressing problems take their attention away from the teacher in question and the new parents are not yet aware of how awful he is.

My suggestion to you is to find out as much as you can about the teacher contract in your district, and WARN the new parents next year to get on the administration EARLY in the school year. Do not expect the district to address your concerns given the fact that your child is no longer in his class, unfortunately you no longer have standing.

·
Registered
232 Posts
OMG!!! I am on the Board of our PTO and a HUGE supporter of our school. However, if one of my children were in that man's class I would have pulled them out immediately and homeschooled or found another situation for them asap. That is awful. Please, for the sake of all the future 5th graders, PLEASE go to the district. Heavens, go to your local newspaper. Schools HATE bad press. Do something. It isn't fair for other, unsuspecting kids, to have to be placed with him in the fall.

Good luck on taking some action and thank heavens your daughter won't be with him anymore.

CTK

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewsMother View Post
This occured all year and NOTHING was done to Mr. C?
I agree.
It seems strange that this man is still teaching at this school if so many parents are aware of how he bad he is.

I also would not have kept my child in a class with a teacher like this.
Ofcourse I homeschool currently anyway, but I wouldn't allow someone like that to be the major influence over my child for 7 hours per day, 10 months out of a year, especially if it ever sent my child home crying.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Working as a former teacher I can tell you this:

A. He should not be around children
B. It is VERY hard to fire a tenured teacher.

However, this is the time you can! Districts don't like to fire teachers in the school year because the union protects their income. So, they would have to pay Mr.C that year and another teacher. As well, districts have to pay said teacher until the legal firing took place which can be years (if teacher wants to fight it- close to retirement age).

BUT, that doesn't mean nothing should be done. If he is a newish teacher he may be a year to year contract which now is the time to make a big stink as it would be very cheap for the district to not renew his contract (though contracts are usually renewed before the end of the school year, not always).

Call the district and leave a formal complaint. Get those complaints in his file. There may be a time that the principal can use those complaints for firing. They need lots of information to successfully fire as the union is pretty powerful. Also, with budget cuts it may make them choose him to let go over another teacher.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Hi Green Eyes.

Your post made me incredibly sad and angry. Unfortunately, what you're dealing with is the BC Teacher's Union, not the principal, who doesn't have much control over a teacher with seniority. Good luck getting him fired...short of out and out paedophilia, it is very hard to get a teacher fired because the union always back them 100% (insert rolling eyes smiley here). You should hear some of the stories I've heard from friends with kids in public school in BC. What will probably happen is that he will be moved to another school, to inflict his nastiness on other innocent children.

I have a huge problem with the BC Teacher's Union because of this. I feel like all they care about is themselves, not the children. I have a friend training as a new teacher right now, trying to find a job, and the Teacher's Union has declared that TOC work (teacher on call) can go to retired teachers as well as newbies. So not only can retired teachers pull a pension, they can compete with brand new teachers, who are desperately trying to get experience, for work! Nice, eh?

Sorry, off rant there. I do think you should document this, but I doubt much will happen. Sorry. BOOOOOO. It makes me so mad. I wish there was something we could do.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Oh, how sad. That teacher is evil and sadistic. It may take a lifetime for kids to get over the damage he has done.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts