Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just visiting with a friend. We were discussing a friend of ours who is pregnant with her second child. Our friend's baby is due in January...early January I'm guessing. Well, she is going to try to be induced early because her vacation time runs out at the end of the year. My friend said that our pregnant friend is maybe even looking at 3 weeks early. She had help getting pregnant this time so I'm sure that she is sure about her dates and everything but...3 weeks? That just seems so terribly irresponsible. Her first baby was so sick with ear infections and scrawny her first year of life. She didn't breastfeed because she decided to use her maternity leave to get a boob job and liposuction. (This is not to mention her Ferberizing this poor sick baby at 4 months and putting her in day care immediatley when they could very much afford for her to stay home...she said she couldn't due without a weekly pedicure and massage. I have no problem with working moms btw. Just what a sorry reason to work). This other stuff is off the topic but since the info about her wanting to be induced is second hand I think that her past choices may show a pattern here, making the story unfortunatley believable.

Is a Dr. really going to go for this?
(My friend is a pharmasutical rep and works for OBs. I imagine she has a more "inside" realationship with her Dr.)

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I would like to think that any reasonable OB would not, but then I would more than likely be WRONG. I bet she will get what she wants, after all babies are suppose to come when the mom is ready not when they are, right? (eye rolling there)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Really, any decent doctor would refuse to do an induction without medical indications. Of course, their medical indications may not be necessary in some people's opinions. However, convenience would definitely not be a medical indication. Of course, my dh is a lowly family doc who doesn't really like OB's ways of doing things. He is all too ready to tell moms begging for induction (they annoy him) that they're just heading for a C-section if they try an induction like that--especially if they're not "ripe"--no dilation, etc. Although, I have been thinking of getting him to try some acapuncture at 39 weeks if I'm getting too uncomfortable and really want to go into labor.
Maybe that's selfish, too, but at least it's natural.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
If you think THAT's bad, hear this!

DH just left for Iraq, (and will be back on leave around my due date) and I got the suggestion that I should have just been induced now (AT 26 WEEKS!!!) so DH wouldn't have to worry about me being pregnant while he was gone, and that the baby would *probably* survive.
:

Obviously coming from someone who know jack sh*t about babies.

Anywho, sorry for hi-jacking.

I'd hope no doctor would do it, I've heard of babies being induced as early as 35 weeks, but due to medical factors of course, not someone's vacation schedule. Why do people have kids if they can't afford to be inconvenienced?!
:

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by frontierpsych

DH just left for Iraq, (and will be back on leave around my due date) and I got the suggestion that I should have just been induced now (AT 26 WEEKS!!!) so DH wouldn't have to worry about me being pregnant while he was gone, and that the baby would *probably* survive.
:

I'd hope no doctor would do it, I've heard of babies being induced as early as 35 weeks, but due to medical factors of course, not someone's vacation schedule. Why do people have kids if they can't afford to be inconvenienced?!
:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Quote:

Why do people have kids if they can't afford to be inconvenienced?!
:
Exactly!!! I totally agree with this statement. The world would be a better place if people like that would NOT become parents. Why even bother having a child if they're going to be considered an inconvenience?
That gets on my NERVES!!! This is a recipe for a child who will resent his/her parents because they didn't have enough time to spend with them.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sapphire_chan
I'm wondering why she doesn't get new vacation time the next year?
Me too .... of course if its like my husbands work you 'earn' your vacation throughout the year, so if shes planning to quit she'd have to pay back the time she doesn't earn. But you can still take the vacation in advance. Unpaid leave would be better for the baby, especially if you're going to be quitting anyway

·
Registered
627 Posts
Well, she could be counting on using this year's vacation time until the 31st and then next year's vacation time starting on the 1st of 2007 to make more time for maternity leave.

My guess is that the doc would do an amnio to check for the lung maturity before a 37wk induction or scheduled C.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Quote:

:

:
The same thing happened to me! DH was supposed to come home on leave around my due date and his command changed it to when I was about 30 weeks. When he went to his command to try to change it back they said "She can just be induced when you're there." Lovely, but in the end it worked out for us- his leave got pushed late and she was two weeks overdue.

Hugs to you, mama. It's a difficult time, but you and baby will be fine and happy

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
My friend's sOB induced 2 weeks early because she didn't want to have a Christmas baby. Seriously. Baby was 6 lbs 1 oz IIRC. He also prides himself on the majority of the babies he delivers being born during his lunch hour
: And apparently brags about this
:

I really wish doctors like that could lose their licenses, because honestly that is some of the worst crap I've ever heard. At least if you are 2 weeks late or if they think the baby is "too big" they have a medical reason, no matter how incredibly flimsy it may be. But there is no excuse for convenience inductions IMO.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
I know someone who induced because she wanted to have her baby before the end of the year so that she wouldn't have to pay her insurance deductible all over again (it resets in January). Her doc was fine with it. It really wouldn't surprise me to hear that this kind of thing happens all the time.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.