Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LO is 14 mths old and is aware of his elimination but chooses to pee elsewhere. He likes to sit on the potty reducer on the toilet and sometimes he likes to pee in the tub and he likes to sit on his winnie the pooh potty but he doesn't pee on them. He gets off to pee. Both are uncomfortable for him. The potty reducer leaves a red ring around his bum and the potty chair is a little too big for him and it's not easy for him to get on and off of by himself.. it's also very square.

I am just wondering if anyone bought a baby bjorn potty this late and had more success with it because it is comfy.

· Registered
107 Posts
Not sure I can offer much advice since I haven't tried any potties except the Baby Bjorn Little Potty. My little one is 13 months and usually has no trouble sitting on the potty for 5 plus min. if I pick out the right toys.

She sometimes has a little red ring around the bottom, but this does not appear to hurt or bother her at all. Also, the BBLP is a bit unstable and can tip when she tries to get off it herself so I always help her up so that we don't end up with a mess on the floor.

Just out of curiosity, what type of potty reducer do you have?

· Registered
39 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by floye View Post
Just out of curiosity, what type of potty reducer do you have?
I was wondering that too. Our 15 month old no longer really wants to use his BBLP but will sit on the big toilet forever and just keep making the "more" sign every time we ask him if he's done. It's become his favorite place to read books. We joke that he is learning to imitate his Daddy already <G>

Anyway, if he likes sitting on the big toilet you might try a Baby Bjorn reducer seat if that's not what you have already. It's quite stable and appears to be comfortable as far as I can see. My son DOES have those red marks on his tush if he's been sitting there for a long time. But then so do I if I read on the potty for too long ... I assume it doesn't hurt him any more than it hurts me.

Also, it might not be the potty. I think it might just be a normal boy thing. Like they can't figure out how to turn the plumbing on and off and actually need to pee standing up sometimes. Our son often has "misses" where he will sit on the potty, be unable to pee, and then pee his pants 5 to 10 minutes later. Sometimes when we're hiking he also will ask to pee standing up when squatting isn't producing results. It obviously feels different to him ... not that I'd know<G>

Anyway, I'm starting to develop a theory that boys' "late" potty training and frequent accidents might just be because they have more trouble figuring out the plumbing. So I've tried (and had some success at) letting my son experiment with peeing standing up in the bathtub or toilet. And also just staying relaxed about those frustrating accidents that happen after I've been sitting on the potty with him.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.