Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok most of you know about the health drama that I have been suffering through lately (severe anemia, asthma, heart troubles, etc). This weekend was bad. I can't sit up, I faint when I stand, my chest hurts, I'm short of breath, can't eat much due to nausea from the iron, having contractions, etc. I thought I was better this morning, but it's already back. :( My doctor's line has been busy all morning. Would it be overly dramatic to just go get checked out at the local hospital? I don't know what they could really do for me...but I am so tired of laying on the floor crying cause I feel so awful. Maybe they could help somehow?

I just don't want to overreact if I am just pregnant and need to suck it up yk? I feel like I need permission to go or something.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I give you permission!!!

Go, woman. Go to the ER, tell them what you just told us. If they don't think it's an emergency, they'll send you up to L&D.

Take care of yourself! It might be time for that transfusion. I'm serious. Thinking of you!!

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I agree....and it's very likely that your doc would send you to L&D to be monitored on machines anyway! So save yourself a doctor bill!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Go! Go! Those are things worth going for. I think any doctor would want you to be seen, ASAP. You are not overreacting.
hug.gif
Even if they decide it's something simple to treat, checking it all out is the right thing.

I'm hoping they'll see just what you need, and get you feeling far less miserable, soon...

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am just scared of being told to take my iron pills (that I can't keep down at all), and sent home. Poor people aren't always treated very nice here in the hospitals...even if they have insurance. I will try and suck it up and go soon. Been debating going for days now. Probably best to just get it over with already.

Thanks for the advice and the "permission" lol.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I understand. But I think, by the time you're acutely miserable and have been thinking about it for days, you need to go.
hug.gif
Especially as someone, who, like me, would need 'permission' to take that kind of action.... I would just be really emphatic about the fact that you CAN'T keep the iron pills down; because, there ought to be something they can do to help, in that case.

I don't know what else to say, except I'll be praying they're very good to you, and you get people who care, and know what to do....

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
You could always tell them that you HAVE been taking the iron pills... you have been supplementing with iron anyway and it doesn't seem to have helped. That way they can't blame you and might focus more on just helping you feel better.
hug2.gif
I would go in too.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Yes, please go! Take care of yourself and MAKE them take care of you. Remember that you are the consumer in the equation, and find that empowering (even though I am sure they may still treat you poorly). Is there an ER nearby that might be easier to go with less issues in terms of treatment?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Since you can't keep the iron pills down is it possible for you to get iron by IV.

I only ask because I remember my Mum getting very severely anemic when she was pregnant with my sister, and she was taken into the hospital and given iron by IV for a day. After that she was great as it gave her the boost she needed, and she even managed to cook my sister for an extra two weeks going to just past 42 weeks. That was in Scotland and back in 1978, so I have no idea if that kind of thing is even offered here in the USA. It might still be worth asking. I know my Mum couldn't absorb the iron from pills and they made her worse rather than better which is why I think they resorted to such an extreme measure.

Since you've been feeling so bad for so long and you already know you are borderline for a transfusion I would go direct to the hospital. Make sure they understand your body isn't tolerating the iron pills, and just how bad you have been feeling. Also let them know you have been taking measure to improve your blood count but that they aren't working. Even if you do have to have a transfusion it will be better than continuing to feel so bad, and possibly get worse.

Hope you get some help to feel better quickly.

·
Registered
408 Posts
This is pretty much what I was wondering. I'd think one or the other (IV iron, or the transfusion), ought to make a big difference, and I'd think they'd want to do one of them. Lyn is right about making sure they understand how unwell you've been, for how long, despite doing everything you could on your own. Don't let any feeling that you shouldn't make a big deal of it or should handle it well keep you from being scrupulously accurate. (I know the temptation react stoically, and play things down, but... don't!)

·
Registered
556 Posts
Definitely go to the ER and make sure you are very clear about what you have been doing, your history etc. And let us know what happens. I'll be thinking of you I am sending you helpful vibes so that hopefully the ER staff will listen and be helpful.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had the same problem with iron pills until I realized that I was taking cheap iron that was difficult to digest and absorb, so it was giving me problems. There are different forms of iron and iron bisglycinate is a form that is much easier to digest and is used more effectively by your body. Here is a link with some more info about it and maybe a place to start to learn more about it.

http://www.wellnessresources.com/health_topics/prenatal_supplements/iron.php

Please take care of yourself and feel better real soon!
hug.gif

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I agree with everyone else, go. Praying that they treat you well, I understand being nervous, I would feel the same way. i think it is very important that you go though.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3girls View Post

I had the same problem with iron pills until I realized that I was taking cheap iron that was difficult to digest and absorb, so it was giving me problems. There are different forms of iron and iron bisglycinate is a form that is much easier to digest and is used more effectively by your body. Here is a link with some more info about it and maybe a place to start to learn more about it.

http://www.wellnessresources.com/health_topics/prenatal_supplements/iron.php

Please take care of yourself and feel better real soon!
hug.gif
This! I am really anemic and most iron I can't keep down either. Another thing that helps me is putting a glass of water and the pill out in the bathroom when I go to bed, and then taking it in the middle of the night when I get up to use the restroom. I have much better luck with my tummy when I am sleeping!

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Ya gotta update us mama!! What's the word? I know that the only thing worse than going to the ER when you aren't dying is going when you are... Hope things turned out well!

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I chickened out and never made it there. I researched a lot though and am now taking the very max dose of the liquid floradix that I feel comfortable with taking. So happy that my dp was generous and bought me a big new bottle of the floradix yesterday (he was really worried about me too). Going to hope that works, because I am done with floradix pills or regular iron pills. I am also keeping my strict, iron full diet going (and getting sick of tacos already lol). Today is the best day I have had in a week or so. Still sleepy, but most of the painful symptoms are gone for now and I haven't fainted today.

I am glad I started the thread though. I feel totally justified in going to the hospital now if anything gets worse or starts acting up again. Thanks for all the help mama's. :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Diagnostically I couldn't tell you anything specific, and not being able to keep the iron down may be key for you but the symptoms you mentioned in the beginning sound pretty severe to me. I do cardiac stress testing all day and I know for a fact that if one of my doctors' patients came in complaining of Chest Pain on exertion, Diziness and acute Shortness of Breath (Dyspnea, jic you see it) they would give them as stress test/echo or send them to the ER pretty much on the spot.

The fact that you are pregnant and completely miserable (and you shouldn't be!) is something else to consider. How we feel matters, even if we feel like we should be able to suck it up. I feel like a wuss all the time. But it's better safe than sorry. If you can't eat, you can't keep the iron down, you're having legitimate chest pains (not muscular soreness), and you're having contractions you need to tell a medical professional. As my mom would say, "bite the bullet!" and just do it. God forbid something goes south because we don't feel comfortable telling a Dr we feel sick. Unfortunately it ends up on us as the mothers. But don't be afraid to go in and tell them what's up, you don't need permission for that (eventhough you and I and most of the ladies on here probably feel like we do!). You do have my permission to tear into any one giving you snide advice or not listening to your needs!

Take care of yourself first, its the only way you can take care of your baby.

(PS I freaked out so bad on Monday bc I couldn't feel my baby move that my OB sent me to L&D. It was the first time I didn't feel like a complete ass for leaving work. Thank god they said everything was fine, but not going eventhough it was "nothing" could have put me into a completely different situation if it WAS SOMETHING. I was lucky and they nurse was great, it happens all the time.) They have to understand and care or at least give you the care you need. If they don't demand someone else see you.

Also, idk where you are but there are a lot of non-emergency outpatient clinics popping up. You can always try there first, less daunting and if you need more specialized care they will send you to the hospital.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.