Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been fighting what I think is a plugged nipple duct for a couple weeks now. I don't have any real symptoms of thrush, except duration. Baby is also asymptomatic. I was wondering if doing Dr. Jay Gordon's GSE protocol would be harmful in any way, just to see if it helps and rule out the thrush that way. Here's the protocol http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/thrush.asp

Thanks for any insight

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I don't think it would be harmful, but is this the one where you paint your nipples with the GSE? Because it does taste pretty awful and I would be a little concerned about your baby going on a nursing strike because of it.

Also, I think thrush usually affects both nipples, not just one.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
the protocol calls for dilution of the liquid citricidal GSE, so although the taste is still bad, it is lessened. and gentian violet also has a taste of a sort, so either treatment could invite a nursing strike. not to mention, simply painting the treatment of either type could invite a nursing strike on its own. in my experience and my friends' experiences, it has been a short lived aversion and has rarely led to a full blown nursing strike.

personally, i would consider doing the treatment on both nipples and in baby's mouth in this case. it sounds like your instincts might be pushing you in this direction and i would follow that instinct. if you don't notice a change within a few days, consider stopping or trying a different treatment. again, in my experience, gentian violet helped us feel relief within a few days the first time around but not the second time, so we tried GSE and we felt relief within a day and a half. it's also great for bum rashes of a yeasty nature.

sending you pain free nursing vibes...

~claudia

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.