Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, from what I've read on line -

Watts have nothing to do with how much light these things put out, so is there a guide somewhere to eactly how many lumens equal your typical light bulbs?

Also not all of these bulbs are made for every use, so where can I find a guide that makes sense for that? I've been looking but the sites I'm pulling up just don't flow right for my brain.

· Registered
1,933 Posts
well it varies quite a bit (pink or yellow light bulbs are less for instance) but a decent rule of thumb is 13-14 lumens per watt for an incandescent.

this holds relatively true for 40-100 watt bulbs.

So if you are replacing a 60 watt light bulb it would be nice to get around 750-850 lumens.

As for buying LED light bulbs unfortunatly you are talking about fairly "cutting edge" rare stuff, so you have to kind of figure it out yourself. Just know if you are putting it into a regular light bulb socket, you need 110v "Edison Base Bulbs" this means they fit where a standard bulb would fit.

This site http://www.superbrightleds.com/edison_globe.html (I am not recommending them as I just found them on google and have never bought anything from them)
has actual useful descriptions (even though they don't list lumens on every one, they at least list the "comparable incandescent" wattage. So far I have not seen any that would replace a 60 watt, 35 watts worth of lumens is the best I have seen in an edison bulb replacement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.