Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DS is 21 months and at this point we plan on unschooling. The problem we're having right now is we have NO friends where we live. We live in a small town. I take him to the library, the park, and the local museum hoping to meet people, but everything is always deserted. Thankfully we are moving back to Ohio in 3 months where we have several friends and it's a smallish city but much busier than where we live now. So I only have to stick it out that much longer.

However, it's getting cold and rainy and we're stuck inside a lot. DS is bored out of his mind, I can tell. And he's been acting out a lot. I just saw an ad in the paper for a mother's day out type preschool. It looks perfect for our situation. No contract, just pick the day and the time and drop him off. This will probably make the next 3 months much easier.

I feel guilty though. If they "do school" am I going to interrupt the unschooling foundation I've laid down so far, that he's thiving in? He's soaking up everything so quickly and even beginning to sight-read words, knows his whole alphabet, ect. What if "doing school" squashes his self-motivation?

Am I just rambling? Is this totally stupid to worry about?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I would do it.

We plan on unschooling as well, but my son currently goes to a "play based" preschool because we will be moving cross country soon and I just needed a few days child free to do what I need to do. Also, I find that I am often to busy to do all that my kid wants to do.

I don't think it is anti-unschooling at all.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Mostly I would just check out the school to see if they are the kind of people you want caring for your child even if it is one day a week. That would be my deciding factor. If they are easy going and all about play and exploration and not about rewards and coercion, then that sounds like a place that I would feel good about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.