Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chicken I was planning on roasting. I also have whole cranberries and apple cider. Can I combine those somehow? What do you think?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by christy005 View Post
i think it would be a good combination!! sounds yummy! not sure how to do it, but all three together sounds good.
That's where I am. I'm thinking that I'll put a little cider in the bottom of the cast iron dutch oven I usually roast chickens in. Could I just pour the cranberries in on top? Should I make a quick whole berry sauce from them first?

I'm open to ideas.

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
My MIL makes a dish that is cranberries and chicken. Don't think apple cider is in it at all. I don't like it but I'm not a fan of cranberries at all, but everyone else likes it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
you could cook the cranberries with the cider and serve them as a side(or sauce) for the chicken. maybe stuff a few cranberries in the cavity when its cooking?

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I would serve the cranberry sauce as a side dish with the chicken, rather than cooking them together.

You COULD use the cider when making the cranberry sauce, but I'd probably serve it as a beverage with the meal.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I added the cranberries and cider to the dutch oven while I cooked the chicken. Then, after the chicken was cooked I removed it and reduced the remaining cider and berries. I skimmed the fat and added 2 tea bage of mulling spices and 2 or 3 tbs of brown sugar.

It had potential, but it was missing something.

Next time I'll just make the sauce in a pan and cook the chicken as usual since it tasted pretty much the same as usual anyway. For the sauce I'll make it like whole berry cranberry sauce but use a bit less sugar and more mulling type spices.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.