Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day, husband and I took the kids to a 6 year old's birthday party at a bowling alley. When we were walking in, H looks at me with a not-so-nice expression on his face (almost like disgust) and says "Where is your make-up?"

Would this have bothered you? What would your response have been?

(And for what it's worth, I had lipstick, powder, and blush on)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I'm not a makeup wear-er. I think I own a small bag of makeup, which consists of some glittery black/purple/green or something for clubbing (of which I do maybe once a year max....I like to get out and shake it...but kids inhibits that a touch. I never went out much before kids though...once a year or so) and a set of mild colors of eyeshadow for interviews. I think I have a blush, def no foundation, and like 2 lipsticks.

I even work at a job that women come in with melt-able faces and false eyelashes, and feh, no thank you.

Thankfully, DH could care less.....but if he said that to me he'd find what little makeup I owned crammed somewhere sideways. Grr.

DH has been making comments that while he probably doesn't mean it, has been jabs about my weight. I've always suffered about it, I had a ED for years. When I graduated HS I was like 190. (i'm 5'9 and very curvy btw, I was a 34DDD prekids)
When we met i'd dropped down to a good happy weight around 140/145, but had been unemployed and very broke for several months and living on a diet of like 1/4 chicken breast and a cup or two of rice per day. I hit a very very all time low of 125, and was back around 130 when I met him.

I quickly got back up to 140/145 with you know, eating.....and stayed there.
I got pregnant with DS and hit 205 or so. around 70lb weightgain. By 1yr PP I was wearing a size smaller jeans than pre-baby, but i've learned to avoid scales because I obsess. Weighing myself and telling the midwife and having her gripe at me was really really rough.

#2 same thing. MW was super and just weighed me backwards and never said boo. I donated breastmilk though, had my records faxed to me and doh...I flipped through them and i'd hit 203 at my max with #2.
I'm around 155 now though, 9m pp. So i'm getting there

DH has been buying me the lowfat cape cod kettle chips when I ask him to buy me some as a treat. I've never been a fan of chips, but the texture has been getting me lately. I just crave them. So DH brings hope lowfat version and waves them and says "I got you the low fat ones"
The other day I was watchign the disc show "I eat 33,000 calories a day" and I commented about how I probably didn't eat that much in 2 weeks, and Dh says "well, you don't eat enough, but you eat high calorie foods"

Etc etc.

DH is, btw, 6'1 and 330lbs (he was 230 when we met, which with his build was ok, but 300 is beyond overweight)

:
:
:

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShabbyChic View Post
It depends. Was it a totally out of character remark, or does he normally make remarks such as that?
He makes comments about my makeup and clothes a lot. He hasn't said anything in a while like this because we really haven't been talking much as we are just co-habitating right now. This was the first time in about 4 weeks that we had gone to a scheduled event together.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Oh yeah you bet - well what ever you want to bet - that it would have bothered me, it's a real put you down comment before you go to a social event - just to make you feel great about yourself (sarcasm), I'd give him a right earful.

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
Yikes! Yes, that would've bothered me. I probably would've said something snarky back, like "where's your fashion sense?" But that's just me.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
I would have said "Where's yours?" in that tone implying he needs it more then he apparently thinks you do. How mean
You don't need make up to be beautiful.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amyjeans View Post
I would have replied,"Back home with your manners."
ugggh.
:

Wow, that was really mean.

·
Banned
510 Posts
I'd be pretty shocked to hear anything resembling that coming out of my DH's mouth. I don't think he can tell if I'm wearing makeup or not, mostly because I don't wear much (mascara and light pink eyeshadow, and some bronzer to hide the white circles around my eyes caused by my glasses).

But were he to ever say something like that, I'd probably tell him I left it at home, but he can borrow my lipstick if he wants. And then I'd find every single physical detail to pick on him about (Gosh, I didn't know the cro-magnon look was back in! I know this great stylist who can do wonders with a brow wax).

Hey, if he wants to act like a catty, snotty little girl, then he gets treated in kind. But then again, I'm awful mean when provoked

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MtBikeLover View Post
He makes comments about my makeup and clothes a lot. He hasn't said anything in a while like this because we really haven't been talking much as we are just co-habitating right now. This was the first time in about 4 weeks that we had gone to a scheduled event together.
Well, then obviously there is a mountain of other problems, and if he looks at you with disgust, there is most likely some anger. So, with the described circumstance, I imagine, I would not only be bothered, but very sad. Maybe some counselling Mama? I am sorry you are having a hard time.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I think that I would have said "What you are just now looking at me? I have makeup on you jerk"

My DH is always amazed when I wear makeup- and if I wear it for too many days in a row then he askes if I'm lookin for a new DH!

This sounds like there is alot more going on, other than a rude comment. Hugs

*Blessings*

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.