Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sis would like to take her 2 week old ds on a 2 hour plane trip. Have any of you lovely ladies flown with a babe that young? What do you think of it? I think it would be okay but I'm biased as its me she will be coming to visit!

Do you have any links or experience?
Thank you!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't. I, too, would be afraid of illness. All kinds. A baby that young just shouldn't be in a situation where s/he is in tight quarters with lots of people for that long, IMHO. A trip to the mall is fine because everyone is spread out, but there's no personal space on a plane. Plus, the air is recirculated. I probably wouldn't even take a 2 week old to an airport. There are so many international travelers, and you just don't know what kind of germs there are.

That's just me, though. I wouldn't think poorly of someone who made the opposite decision.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
My friend's father in law died a week after her first child was born, and the doctor told them that they should NOT fly until the baby was at least a few months old.

like was mentioned above, the air quality is so poor on an airplane--but also the ear drum of a newborn are very sensitive and can burst upon take off and landing.

Tell her to ask her pediatrician about it.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I would not fly with a 2 week old either. My boys flew plenty of times when they were infants but I think the earliest was at 5 months old. The baby would be trapped in a small space with no fresh air for hours sharing space with people that could have any kind of illness. I don't even take my little ones to church until they are at least 6 weeks old.
Is there any way you could go visit her?

Keri

·
Registered
107 Posts
I definitely wouldn't, not with my kid. Planes are so germy: the air, the seats, the blankets and pillows don't typically get washed between flights -- guh.

I'm not a germophobe by any means, but the sheer quantity of people using planes each day just is too wide an array of germs for an infant to deal with, imo.

·
Registered
344 Posts
It takes at least 6 weeks of breast feeding for your baby to build up a strong enough immune system to cope with all the germs and stuff that we are exposed to in a confined, recirculating area, like a plane and/or airport/mall, etc... I have to fly home, I had my baby in Canada and will be returning to the states as soon as we have our paperwork processed, but will be waiting till my baby is at least 8 weeks old. Micah is only 2 weeks old right now.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks ladies!
She's decided to come in 2 weeks, (he'll be 4 weeks by then). She has spoken to her doula's and dr at great length and feels comfortable coming then.
There was no way I could go see her as we have 6 kids and no one to watch them while dh is at work. And all of our family is here (her work moved her to another city).
Thanks again for your replies!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.