Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not pg but I had my annual with my midwife a couple weeks ago. We were talking about a vbac and she is really supportive (there are both doctors and midwives at my practice but I use the midwives). The practice is pro-vbac but they have a few "rules" for vbac patients:

-must wait 1 year (done - no problem)
- must go into labor on your own, no induction or augmentation of anykind (I totally agree)
- must deliver by 41 weeks or be a repeat section

Going only to 41 weeks worries me. My dd came 10 days late. She was as healthy as could be! However, the doctors had 3 elective c-s in a row where the women had uterine windows so now they want vbacs delivered by 41 weeks at the latest.

I chart so I KNOW that I O late. Although my dd was 10 days late, she was really only 1 week late if you go by my O dates. Lately, I've been O'ing a week to 10 days late. It really concerns me if I get pg b/c they will want to deliver me well before I am *really* 41 weeks.

I am debating whether or not I should "adjust" my LMP to give myself the textbook 28 day cycle with an O on day 14. I remember bringing up charting wth one doctor who said that was too tedious and I should just use OPKs to get pg.

Now, I know the real answer is "find another provider" which is definitely an option!!! I plan to interview other midwives. However, if I do decide to stay with my current practice I want to give myself the best chance of a vbac. Thoughts????

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Either tell them "I ovulated on such and such a date" or adjust your lmp to match your O date, for sure. I might even throw in a couple extra days to ensure I don't have to have a c-sec.

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
That's not fudging the dates, that's ovulating late.

You can either ask if they will accept your chart as proof OR ask for a very early u/s if you are good with that.

With DD her actual due date (according to early u/s) was 11 days after LMP would suggest (and she was born 2 days after that, so would have been 13 days late if we didn't have the rigtht one).

DS's actual due date (according to charting) was 3 days after LMP would suggest (and he was born 6 days after that, so would have been 9 days "late" without the right one).

Some women have cycles in excess of 40 days... your doctor needs to be willing to accept the correct due date (and the earlier you go in, the more obvious it is that you are "correct")

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
Either tell them "I ovulated on such and such a date" or adjust your lmp to match your O date, for sure. I might even throw in a couple extra days to ensure I don't have to have a c-sec.

: I would "adjust" the date of your LMP to match your O date at the very least.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Not a VBAC mom here, just lurking and noticed your post...

I would definitely use your O date rather than your LMP date, and I agree with the PP who said that is NOT "fudging" your dates - what it IS doing is giving you a much more accurate gestational age!! Because if they use your LMP date to calculate, but you did not ovulate until day 20 or 25 or 30 of your cycle, then their calculated gestational age is flat out incorrect, and you may well be forced into a surgery when your baby's gestational age is not even actually 40 weeks yet.

If you stay with this practice and have the least bit of uncertainty whether they will accept your assertion of when you ovulated (if they will insist on using your actual LMP date regardless), then I think you should definitely adjust your LMP date to 2 weeks prior to your REAL ovulation, and do not let them know that you have made that adjustment. Then there will be no questioning of how far along you actually are - they will calculate, either by the adjusted LMP date you give or by your O date, the CORRECT gestational age.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I also have no problem with adjusting dates to match ovulation. I ovulate on day 21, so add a week to my LMP. My birth attendants with #2 and #3 were fine with that, I knew the OB for #4 wouldn't be, so I added a week and never told her. #4 came on her O-date due date, so would have been a week late otherwise.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Agree with all the above what ever word you want to use. I fudged mine with my last also just about for similar reasons I went 10d past my ´due´date with my prior one, sometimes my cycles are longer than the 28 days and wasn´t keeping good track of things and was having a vbac. I mine was based on a combination of LMP and neg pregn test followed by a positive tweek it a bit It was for my own peace of mind also to not have to deal with ancy providors, who traditionally do something at 41w reguardless if its a vbac or not ( outside USA in a country with high c-section rates). Though saying this my MD did attend me at home and it worked out splendidly.
Good Luck

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm glad that sounds so logical. As much as I like to be upfront and honest, I'd like to take the path of least resistance when i know it's a benefit to me in the end. Some doctors, in my experience, don't really understand that women can be so educated about their bodies. I just hate to get into the argument about how I *know* my O date since doctors like to go by that stupid wheel to date pg based on your LMP. I actually met one ob (thankfully not in my practice) who didn't realize there was a different between FAM and the rhythm method. I seriously had this big argument with him before giving up realizing that he just had no clue!

I may ask for an early u/s. My practice usually just does 1 u/s at 20 weeks. I had to argue for an earlier u/s last time and they only consented b/c I lost my first baby at 12 weeks (baby died long before that) and I didn't want to go through that again.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yes, I would fudge the dates, and I did with this pregnancy. My cycle is always late, anywhere from 30-40 days. The norm is 35 days. So when I gave the doctor my info I adjusted my LMP date ahead one week. I also am 90% sure when I ovulated, a week later than I should. I am scheduled for a c-section 4 days after my due date- as most physicians like to do. I could argue if I want to I guess. But I am hoping this baby will just come on time and I can have a VBAC. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Doesn't sound too vbac friendly to me. 41 weeks? Come on!

I'd lie like my pants were on fire.

I had a vbac at 42 weeks, after 3 days of labor at home, with elevated bp, and with my oldest child in attendance.

((()))) Do you know about the birthrage email list? Are you in touch with ICAN?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildflowermama

((()))) Do you know about the birthrage email list? Are you in touch with ICAN?
Birthrage email list? haven't heard of that one.
I have been all over the ICAN site. Unfortunately, there is no chapter in my county (but I would consider starting one if I have a successful vbac!). I do plan to subscribe to their email list.

I agree that 41 weeks is pretty crazy... which is why I am seriously going to look for another provider but I think, no matter what, I will adjust my dates for a textbook cycle so I don't have to worry about arguing with anyone anywhere. I am actually considering *really* fudging my dates and giving myself an extra few days... or maybe a week! I don't want to fight over not having a c-s.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I was 5 days late w/my 1st (who they were trying to induce b/c she was big), so it just worked out that they think my EDD is a week after my "EDD." I had some spoting in the beginning & had an early U/S, which showed that the EDD was 12/25, instead of 12/18 - and I didn't make any big deal in correcting them. As a Christian, I wasn't going to lie to them, so this worked out perfect for me! Of course, now I am thinking about having my baby at home & not even going to the hospital, so it may not even matter.

Rachel
Wife to Keith since 5/01, Mother to Georgia since 4/04, & waiting on Christmas baby!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I fudged. I have the (luckily) opposite situation in that I ovulate on day 10, but I still gave them an LMP 3 days later than the real one, so my "official" due date is a full week after my real one. I just didn't want to start getting pressured at 40 weeks to deliver.

Since women's cycles are truly different, and you KNOW what your real due date would be if they would account for it, I think you definitely should "lie" about your LMP since they won't take your ovulation date as true. At least you're being more honest than I am!

·
Registered
971 Posts
will they really take your dates for real?? how about if an ultrasound says your are a week ahead of your dates?? thats what happened to me. i tried to fudge a little but when i had the ultrasound she said, nope looks like you are 9 weeks instead of 8 weeks like you thought. do they go by their dates or yours??

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's been my understanding that the 20-week ultrasound is not known for being truly accurate as far as due dates go (unlike the very early ultrasounds, which I've heard are very accurate for determining progress and thus due dates). They did indeed adjust my U/S due date, but they interpreted it to me as "you're baby is measuring a little big" instead of "it looks like you're farther along than you thought." So far, it hasn't been a problem, so we'll see if it gets to be a problem as we get closer to the date! I think if you "fudge" your dates to be MORE accurate (unlike me), the 20-week U/S won't put you back at an earlier, false date. If anything, I think it would reinforce your knowledge that you are not as far along as your LMP suggests.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The practice I am currently with does not routinely do an early u/s. You just get the one at 20 weeks. I had to ask for a 7 week u/s with my dd - they only gave me one b/c I had previously miscarried. Dont' know if I will ask for another early u/s. This might be reason not to!

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
I ovulated on DAY THIRTY-FIVE of my cycle (due to PCOS , I have REALLY long, like 50-ish, day cycles)...I told my midwife when i O'd and she was fine with it...I would not have even considered for a second going with a provider that wanted to use LMP, as that would have been 3 WHOLE WEEKS early for me!!! In fact, ANY provider who wants to use "the wheel" with no regard for when you know you ovulated is a HUGE RED FLAG to me.....umm, a little respect, you know? So, if you believe it will allow you the birth you want with the providers you want, certainly, fudge away, or give them O date instead of LMP, or whatever you feel is right.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.