Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just so you don't have to deal w/ a toddler and a 1month old day and night?
DH has to go for one week on a business trip and I don't feel like having to deal w/ the two of them. The toddler likes to cuddle to go sleep and he wakes up and night and need that closeness to fall back asleep. Not to mention from the time DD was a NB I have been sleeping outside on the couch because most nights she wakes up from 2- 4am or 1-3:30am so I walk around and watch TV or go on the computer. If DS wakes up at those times I would need to lie down w/ him so he can go back to sleep. Not to mention I am going to be starting back my Parttime Stay at home job which would be impossible for that week.

Oh..The price for DS and I to go would be about $400.

WWYD?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
What, you mean like you and the kids go so that your husband can deal with the kids too? I'd do that. I've gone with at least the first kid on tons of business trips, including when she was really young like that, and it's been fabulous. It's the next best thing to a real vacation IMO. And my dh anyway loves having us tag along on on business trips.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
yes, I would go. I don't have any desire to stay home alone with my four children, and we like to explore new places. DH work already knows this... that if they ask him to go somewhere out of state, we will be making accomodations for the whole family to go along with him.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Personally, I would not go just bc for me and DS it would be a disaster. Liam does not do well outside of our home for too long. But, if your baby and toddler are fine wherever, then yeah, go for it!

Another option would be to ask a family member or friend to stay with you that week to help out. You could even pay them some. Or you could stay with a friend or family member. When my DH goes out of town on business (usually only 1-2 nights at a time) I go and stay with my mom, or my IL's sometimes.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyCatherine185 View Post
Personally, I would not go just bc for me and DS it would be a disaster. Liam does not do well outside of our home for too long. But, if your baby and toddler are fine wherever, then yeah, go for it!

Another option would be to ask a family member or friend to stay with you that week to help out. You could even pay them some. Or you could stay with a friend or family member. When my DH goes out of town on business (usually only 1-2 nights at a time) I go and stay with my mom, or my IL's sometimes.
My toddler loves to be anywhere, I don't have a problem w/ him, he thrives on being NOT home. Baby too young to care for now.

I don't have any family or friends to come by. I have a MIL and a bro. I can maybe stay by, but that is out of the question. Don't care for staying w/ MIL and her boyfriend not to mention they don't have broadband so I can't do my work. Bro. & SIL, I just don't feel like intruding on them, not to mention they live on the 2nd floor and everytime we visit we have to constantly tell DS not to run, jump, walk to hard, ect... because the people downstairs start to pound on their floor letting them know it is too much noise.

I am thinking to just go. I have find out the details for his flight.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Next Ques. - For those that went, did you have to pay for yourself and the kids plane tickets.

I guess I might not go, DH is wondering why I want to spend so much money
He really doesn't understand how being w/ two kids all day and now at night will be. He thinks I should go by MIL or Bro. I already explained above why I don't care for going, not to mention I will be stuck w/ the same problem - nighttime parenting two. There is no way my bro. & SIL will help they have jobs to go to and they are young (under 25).

·
Registered
217 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dex_millie View Post
Next Ques. - For those that went, did you have to pay for yourself and the kids plane tickets.
DS1 and I have gone on several business trips with DH, and we've always paid for plane and train tickets, as well as our own meals. Once or twice he's driven and been reimbursed for gas/mileage, and in those cases we've traveled for free of course.

Basically, the only thing that's been covered is the hotel room. Breakfast has been covered when the hotel includes that in the room fee, though.

Any time we feel we can afford the extra cost, we do it. It's a great way to have a mini-vacation.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I would not go because my dh would not get any rest and not be able to do his business if I took our kids, they would have been up all night and got off their sleep schedule if they slept, like they do by car or by plane when while traveling. But that's my kids and it would totally not have worked with the first two, I would have just been dealing with them, airplanes, and packing and then unpacking. What I've wound up with when we traveled with kids that age is two kids who slept all day traveling and were up and crabby all night.

·
Registered
770 Posts
as someone with kiddos almost the same age, i would definitely go!!!!! dh was in india for 15 days when dd2 was three-five weeks. it was awful. dd1 is a cuddler at night-time also and wants to lay in a spoon position; anytime i shift, it's the end of the world. pretty hard to nurse a newborn with that. anyway, if there is a way, i say go. i know that i reached my breaking point while dh was gone and i felt really bad for dd1 that she had such a crummy mama for those two weeks.

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Yes, absolutely. My partner has actually worked hard to make sure that he never has to travel, because we WOULD go with him, and we can't afford to do that (at least not more than once a blue moon). I already have a hard enough time on the days he has to work through lunch, rather than come home; no way would I be OK with him gone overnight. And he wouldn't want to!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I do it all the time. However, when I go it's usually to places where there is no additional costs associated with me and the kids joining him (ie. he's driving and the hotel and ferry is paid for). Sometimes it's tough being in a hotel with two little ones though and depending on the location and the weather that can be a real pain in the bum.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
We own our own business so DH travels a lot. There are times I go on trips with him but only if it's not going to be spendy for us (me and our two daughters plus finding care for DSS who is in school). Our limit is below $400 so that would be a no. Plus we take into consideration how much actual down time DH is going to have. Just because he comes "home" at night to the hotel doesn't mean he won't be working. Me tagging along for the sake of having a second parent usually is not going to happen.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We haven't done overnights (yet) but we have packed into the car for a few court appearances and mediations out of town. My DW does her law-talking while babe and me hang out in a hotel room, or cruise the aisles of a local store for a few hours.

It works great for us--Mom gets her work done and doesn't have to be away from babe for more than a few hours at a time.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I'll be a dissenter here. I wouldn't go and I've had opportunities to, although would never spend the money. Ok, so I'm cheap! I mean unless you have that much sitting around to spend. I don't think being cooped up in a hotel or looking for things to do in a new city would be any easier. I would think it'd be easier for everyone for DH to go, focus on work, and you stay home. I've been home with 3 for a week (under the age of 3 mind you, with no help). For me it hasn't been much harder, yeah I was a bit more tired at the end of the day, but we co-sleep and everyone is just welcome to sleep in our room and thats that.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
If we had the $400 and it didn't mean we would not be able to pay bills I would definitely go.

My mental health would be worth every penny! The most I've done is two days and one night with both the boys, and that was enough for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.