Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm training to be a doctor and I'm conducting a piece of research on cesarean sections as the C-section rate is growing year on year yet there hasn't been much of an improvement in newborn and maternal mortality rates. Not looking to start a debate just wanting some honest views to help gain a greater understanding. Anyone who takes the time to fill this in I really appreciate it. So what I'm asking is:

Would you have a C-section?

If so why? If not why not?

If you have had a cesarean section why did you have one? what information were you given before the procedure? do you feel you made an informed decision? would you choose to have a C-section in future?

What do you believe is the Safest way to deliver?

What country are you from and where did you deliver your baby and what year?

What was your experience of your obstetrician/Midwife?

Please tell me anything else you'd like to add

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
No

I believe the body is made to give birth naturally vaginally. I also believe c-section cause future health issues for both mom and baby such as infection risks for mom and asthma for baby.

If you have had a cesarean section why did you have one? what information were you given before the procedure? do you feel you made an informed decision? would you choose to have a C-section in future?
I have never had one.

Vaginally, un-medicated

Usa, my first was delivered in 2008, my 2nd will be delivered this year.

I'm not sure if you mean how experienced they were or what my experience was with them. My midwife with my first had decades of experience in childbirth. I didn't like her too much though because she forgot to expect the unexpected. She was too used to 1st time mom's having long labors. Mine was only 11 hours and she didn't make it to the hospital till I was pushing. I would have thought she would have taken better care of me especially since I had developed pregnancy hypertension.

Please tell me anything else you'd like to add.
Don't really have much else to add, just letting you know that I believe in natural birth and that I find it sadly alarming that the c-section rate in the us is so high.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Here you go:

I would NEVER choose an elective primary csec unless there was previa or some other life-threatening situation. I would give all types of breech a TOL.
For pg #1 I did not choose to have a csec.
For pg #2 I did not choose to have a csec.
I do not plan on any future pg but if a miracle happened, I am 50/50 on VBAC vs ERC. I would do my best to allow labor to start on its own, even knowing my history of 42 weeks pg, and it would take a lot to convince me there was any benefit to scheduling far in advance of the due date.

The risks of elective csecs do not outweigh the PERCEIVED benefits.

My 1st csec was due to an impatient OB who apparently had better plans for his Friday night than "allowing" my son to come on his own time. The surgery was iatrogenic and the result of the cascade of interventions. I was given no information and my "choice" was anything but informed.
My 2nd csec was a planned VBAC with a midwife but an OB at the hospital caught wind and called in a psych consult and CPS. I was told to choose between an ERC and leaving the hospital without my baby.

Alone in a cabin on top of a mountain without another soul around for 50 miles.

US, deep south, 90's and 00's.

In this area, CNMs are just OB with lower student debt and no surgical training.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I did, in fact, have a c-section (for previa) and I wouldn't hesotate to have another if I were having more kids (but I'm not having more). My c/s was for my second child. My first time, I was terrified of surgery and pushed for 5.5 hours and had a vacuum delivery to avoid a c-section. Having now actually had the surgery, I know that the recovery from a simple, pre-labor c/s is far easier than the recovery from a vaginal delivery with instruments or complications.

I had my section because I had placenta previa, and hemorrhaged dramatically. The pre-surgery info I got was pretty condensed, because of these circumstances. No one should be talking to you about asthma or gut flora when you're at risk of bleeding to death. OTOH, no one talled to me abput the risks of vaginal birth at all. I really was not prepared for how I felt about labial tearing, or the various effects of PPH.

I don't think there's one universally safest way to give birth. It depends.

I'm in the US. My children were born in 2007 & 2009.

I think you're starting a fire, here in terms of how this discussion will go, and you should consider tools like SurveyMonkey when you want people to reapond to surveys.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi I'm training to be a doctor and I'm conducting a piece of research on cesarean sections as the C-section rate is growing year on year yet there hasn't been much of an improvement in newborn and maternal mortality rates. Not looking to start a debate just wanting some honest views to help gain a greater understanding. Anyone who takes the time to fill this in I really appreciate it. So what I'm asking is:

Yes

If it was medically indicated because it can be life saving. Just like I would take antibiotics if needs. I would not have one for no medical reason however, because the recovery is more difficult.

I had a primary c-section after 28 hours of labor and 4 hours of pushing when my son started having heart decals and was stuck. It was discovered after the fact that my pelvis is heart shaped (android. The recovery was brutal. I did not make an informed decision. The only information I had prior to the surgery came from my birth classes that made caesareans out to be only for dr.s convenience and damaging to women, thus I was terrified when the moment came where it was clear the baby was in distress and so was I. I had physiological problems from pushing so long as well. this lead to serious post partum emotional issues from feeling like a failure. My second was planned, and was much better situation all the way around. I was informed, new what to expect and what not to expect, walked into the OR and was able to get onto the table on my own power. The section took less than an hour and I was able to hold my daughter while they stitched me. IT was calm and a better experience. I recovered very quickly as well. If I were to have more children they would also be c-sections

What do you believe is the Safest way to deliver? this totally depends on the woman and baby. For me, the safest way to deliver is scheduled c-section

What country are you from and where did you deliver your baby and what year?US first in 2011 second in 2015

What was your experience of your obstetrician/Midwife?Good

Please tell me anything else you'd like to add[ You might also consider childbirth education prior to delivery and roles of doulas in c-section experiences/QUOTE]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts