Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS has 4 incisors with cavities, one is really really bad I'm thinking it should be pulled, the others filled. The options were swaddle him tight and hold him still during the work with a numbing injection only or go to the hospital for GA and a bunch of other drugs to do it all with him out. While either option will be traumatic I'm thinking chemically repressed trauma (the drug gives amnesia of the time it's in effect) and the potential risks of getting put out aren't worth it. He'll fight and be beyond unhappy, he already fights me for tooth brushings. But I wouldn't subject him to those potential risks and 'normal' side effects. WWYD?

·
Registered
216 Posts
My two year old went under GA this year for tooth procedures. I did a lot of reading of old threads and joined the yahoo group for very young kids teeth before I made my decision. I feel we did the right thing and we haven't had any negative side effects. My pediatrician also said it is not quite the same thing as going under GA for a medical procedure, which involves more risk, and a deeper sedation.<br>
However, my son needed more work done than yours. For a tooth extraction and maybe a few fillings I might have chosen another route. I read that kids roots for their baby teeth are fairly short and it is a much simpler, quicker extraction than you or I might have to endure. The age of you child factors into it too. People have tons of great ideas about readying their child through role play with dolls and playing dentist, etc. And maybe you could look into some of the alternative treatments at this stage.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts