Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11,593 Posts
No way. My sister bought something similar to this for my niece, and she figured out really quickly that, in order to hear the pretty sounds/songs, she could just put random objects or liquids in the potty instead of peeing/pooping in it. Not worth the money, IMO.

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
No.

My brother and SIL had a version like this several years ago. They HATED it. (It never sang at the right time, they hated what it did sing, and their son didn't quit using diapers until he was over 4!) My son was freaked out by it (he only saw it once.)

My kids were much more fascinated by the real thing, and got plenty of observation with mom and dad.

Ds needed a potty chair, the plain kind, because he was afraid of falling in. Dd will have NOTHING to do with the potty chair. So, a potty chair is fine, depending on the child, but a singing, flushing one? Nope.

·
Registered
782 Posts
no. why do we need so many gimicks anyway?
we just put our son on the toilet for kicks when he was real little and he has always loved to pee standing up. pooing on the can took a bit longer, but mission accomplished. without the music, targets, pop-up out of the toilet characters and singing lids.

us parents can make it fun, too.
happy potty training!

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
Nope. My kids just use the real thing.

ETA: we do have a little baby bjorn potty, but the only time it's ever been used is on road trips. I put it under the seat when we go for long drives, and it's come in handy many times.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Another NO vote. That thing would drive me crazy. And IME, kids will use the potty when they're ready to, most of them really don't need gimmicks.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Another no here. I would spend the money on a nice wooden stepstool( useable forever.... I still have mine!) and one of those inserts that makes the toilet seat smaller. I have also seen a friens take one of those cheap wooden toilet seats and use a tool to make a smaller sized hole right in the lid. That worked really well. I would stay away from the gimmicks as well!

·
Registered
230 Posts
My 3 year old is still potty learning and if I thought that potty would help, I would definitely get it. We have the royal potty and it plays a little music if she goes potty but not a whole song. For us, I don't think there is a magic potty that would suddenly cause her to potty learn. I've tried lots of ideas but she just doesn't want to.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
No and NO.
Your child will learn to use the potty when he or she is ready and not a moment before that NO matter HOW HARD YOU TRY!
And the harder you try the more it becomes a power struggle, BTDT.
SO what if your 3 yr old isn't using the potty? It does not mean anything more than he or she isn't ready. Now if you are pushing 5 and Kindergarten, well, now... There are some other issues to address at that point.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I would say no.
A child will not train until they are ready. I speak from BTDT!
My son turned 4 in August, and just 2 months ago he finally was willing to go on the potty. He now is at about 85% "trained".
I got a potty that was on sale at target and also got one that goes on top of the potty. He still likes to use the small potty. We live in a rental with a very tall potty.

If your son wants the potty then I guess thats up to you!

If thats the one he wants to use, I would buy it!

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Another no. When they are ready, they will go. Ds never even used his regular potty seat that we bought (a baby bjorn). When he finally decided to potty learn it was the $6.99 toilet ring with handles that worked.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Heck no! Those gadgety potty seats area total PITA to clean. There are all sorts of nooks and crannies to clean up, esp if you have a boy, the pee often sprays all over the place. Just get a simple seat like the baby bjorn that is all one piece of molded plastic. It makes clean up sooo much easier and it is so much less distracting to the child not to have all those bells and whistles, so they can focus. We tried to read books while he was on the potty, sing, etc.. it turned out that all of those things ended up being distractions, and when we stopped doing those things, he finally concentrated on using the potty. For us, other than lots of praise, you need to find that, "special" something that will also help to moitvate your child. For our son, it turned out to be popsicles, he just looooved them, and it worked out ok, b/c he doesn't usually drink very much, so the popsicles helped increase his fluid intake, which increased his need to go. He PT'd in less than three days and we stopped using the popsicles after a wk, so it was a short term thing. Of course he still likes popsicles, but now it's just a very occasional treat.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
No. I'd like my children to learn early on that urine and electronics don't mix.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
No. We wanted her to potty train based on the intrinsic rewards (e.g. staying dry, independence) not on external rewards that, once gone, sometimes mean potty learning is forgotten. Instead, we did things like have potty chairs around the house, left her diaper off for hours and days at a time. She was 100% diaper-free by age 2.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts