Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would-be third time mama, age 22. First birth was a vaginal, unmedicated hospital birth, baby 7 lbs, 14 oz. Labor was less than 8 hours, pushing phase less than an hour. Severe episiotomy was given, plus bad tearing.<br><br>
Second birth 3 yrs later. Had been highly motivated to have a homebirth, but due to a variety of difficult circumstances, opted to plan an unassisted birth. No professional prenatal care after 16 weeks. Baby was born at 40 weeks, 9 lbs, 10 oz. Meconium, suspected shoulder dystocia, slow start after the birth. Transported by ambulance to hospital. Mom and baby were fine and went home at 36 hours pp. Labor was, again, less than 8 hours. Very minor labial tear, no stitches needed.<br><br>
Mama is not actually pregnant as of now. She's thinking of ttc, but fearful of difficult pregnancy and birth, thinks she'd be unable to find a caring, understanding, hand-off birth attendant. Part of the problem is social<br>
and generalized anxiety.<br><br>
How would you respond if this mama contacted you?

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
How would I respond?<br><br>
With warmth and support. She obviously knows what her body needs to do to birth - were there any real issues with the baby or was an ambulance called because he was slow to start?<br><br>
There are laid-back, hands-off midwives out there. I would question what she and her partner (if any) want from this next experience. I would be tempted to support them in an UA birth since it sounds like that is what she is really wanting / needing....just maybe some extra attention processing the last birth and rebuilding her faith in her body.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;"><i>Originally posted by pamamidwife</i><br><b>How would I respond?<br><br>
With warmth and support. She obviously knows what her body needs to do to birth - were there any real issues with the baby or was an ambulance called because he was slow to start?<br></b></td>
</tr></table></div>
None, really. One of the shoulders was tender for a day or so, but other than that, no problems. The ambulance was called because the babe was slow to start- still not warm enough and grunty breathing when the EMTs arrived, but just fine after a little oxygen and getting warmed up a bit better.<br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;"><b><br>
There are laid-back, hands-off midwives out there. I would question what she and her partner (if any) want from this next experience. I would be tempted to support them in an UA birth since it sounds like that is what she is really wanting / needing....just maybe some extra attention processing the last birth and rebuilding her faith in her body.</b></td>
</tr></table></div>
Thank you for your thoughts. Very helpful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts