Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would-be third time mama, age 22. First birth was a vaginal, unmedicated hospital birth, baby 7 lbs, 14 oz. Labor was less than 8 hours, pushing phase less than an hour. Severe episiotomy was given, plus bad tearing.

Second birth 3 yrs later. Had been highly motivated to have a homebirth, but due to a variety of difficult circumstances, opted to plan an unassisted birth. No professional prenatal care after 16 weeks. Baby was born at 40 weeks, 9 lbs, 10 oz. Meconium, suspected shoulder dystocia, slow start after the birth. Transported by ambulance to hospital. Mom and baby were fine and went home at 36 hours pp. Labor was, again, less than 8 hours. Very minor labial tear, no stitches needed.

Mama is not actually pregnant as of now. She's thinking of ttc, but fearful of difficult pregnancy and birth, thinks she'd be unable to find a caring, understanding, hand-off birth attendant. Part of the problem is social
and generalized anxiety.

How would you respond if this mama contacted you?

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
How would I respond?

With warmth and support. She obviously knows what her body needs to do to birth - were there any real issues with the baby or was an ambulance called because he was slow to start?

There are laid-back, hands-off midwives out there. I would question what she and her partner (if any) want from this next experience. I would be tempted to support them in an UA birth since it sounds like that is what she is really wanting / needing....just maybe some extra attention processing the last birth and rebuilding her faith in her body.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by pamamidwife
How would I respond?

With warmth and support. She obviously knows what her body needs to do to birth - were there any real issues with the baby or was an ambulance called because he was slow to start?
None, really. One of the shoulders was tender for a day or so, but other than that, no problems. The ambulance was called because the babe was slow to start- still not warm enough and grunty breathing when the EMTs arrived, but just fine after a little oxygen and getting warmed up a bit better.

Quote:

There are laid-back, hands-off midwives out there. I would question what she and her partner (if any) want from this next experience. I would be tempted to support them in an UA birth since it sounds like that is what she is really wanting / needing....just maybe some extra attention processing the last birth and rebuilding her faith in her body.
Thank you for your thoughts. Very helpful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.