Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH and I love fantasizing about moving to an area with a lower cost of living. Right now we live in Los Angeles, relatively close to both of our families; mine is 300 miles away, but his is only 30 miles away. If we moved, we'd probably go somewhere that is no longer within driving distance of our familes. We'd basically have to start over: new jobs, new house of course, new neighborhood, new people, no family nearby at all, etc. Even the local culture would most likely be new and different and would take some getting used to.

Even though we've talked and dreamt about this endlessly, it scares the you-know-what out of me, so I'm just curious what others think. Would YOU do it?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
We were thinking of making the great migration west to Alberta. DH was studying welding and there are supposed to be tons of jobs out west. We were thinking of moving next spring, but DH just got a great job where we are now. And cost of living is pretty cheap here so I guess we're staying! We were very serious about it and had researched what area we thought would be best and everything. It would have been hard, but we would have done it. I think. My final answer is YES.

Of course, we were assuming that we'd make enough money to be able to visit our families at least once a year.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
We relocated from San Diego to TX. Of course dh is in the military so he had to get stationed here but we are very happy with the change. In San Diego we had no hope of ever buying a home, now we own a nice small one in a good family area. I miss my friends and family but our future is brighter here.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by i'mmykid'$mom View Post
Did it; though fortunately my ILs retired to this area (we're all former military). We used to live in Anchorage, Alaska. We wanted a life where I could stay home with our children and not have the kind of stress that comes with two career couples.

LOL that is funny cause we keep moving BACK to Alaska to get away from all the stress and money hungry people in the states.
:

So here we are in Fairbanks, Alaska. Personally I dont find it any more expensive then most areas in Washington, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, or Utah.
I have been to CA and that place is crazy $$.

I hear it is cheaper in the midwestern states but have no desire to live there.

I have also lived in an area that is really cheap and found it unbearable. The crime rate, the drugs, the schools..........gross!!! we moved after only 3 months cause it was just nasty.

if you are not saving a ton of money the stress and all that might not be worth it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
We live in Anchorage and we have a standard of living here that we couldn't get anywhere else. The East and West coasts are too expensive and we wouldn't make much in the Mid-West.

I think you have to balance the value of having family close. It's very hard come holidays, or even when you could use some help, to always have to rely on friends. We only have my mom left and she's 89, so family wasn't so much of an issue for us.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
if you are not saving a ton of money the stress and all that might not be worth it.
Well, actually, we *would* save a ton of money. We would probably walk away from the sale of our home here with $250K in our pockets. From that, we would probably spend some of it on the cost of relocating and on making a new home our own, we'd put about $50K into savings so we have a nice fat emergency fund, put money away for dd's college, and we'd still be able to put 50% or more down on a home twice the size of what we have now. Since dh is dyyyying for a music room and I would love a nice big kitchen and some land for a garden, a bigger home would be nice. Plus, having a small mortgage would leave us more money for plane tickets to visit family and more flexibility if we decide to have another child. Really, as far as the $$ goes, it would be great. It's just the stuff money can't buy (familiarity and comfort) that worry me!

·
Registered
755 Posts
We tried it and it didn't work. DH and I are Californians and we tried living in Utah for 4 years. Dh's job there paid well and we had a nice house. But the social scene never opened for us -- California is a lot different than Utah! So we came back. Now, financially, it would have been better had we never left since the housing market was flat the whole time we were in Utah while, you know what happened here!
So my thought, don't move to a new location unless you are sure you will fit into the culture!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by msjd123 View Post
DH and I love fantasizing about moving to an area with a lower cost of living. Right now we live in Los Angeles, relatively close to both of our families; mine is 300 miles away, but his is only 30 miles away. If we moved, we'd probably go somewhere that is no longer within driving distance of our familes. We'd basically have to start over: new jobs, new house of course, new neighborhood, new people, no family nearby at all, etc. Even the local culture would most likely be new and different and would take some getting used to.

Even though we've talked and dreamt about this endlessly, it scares the you-know-what out of me, so I'm just curious what others think. Would YOU do it?
I thought I was the only person who fantasized like this. I go so far as to go on realtor web sites to look at houses in other areas of the country and compare them to mine. I just don't think I could ever jump though. I think I would miss my family too much.

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
I would do it any time. I don't really have much roots anywhere and I like changes and new places.
Though I imagine it might be a bit hard for the kids. They were born here and as far as they know, this place is home and their world. We probably don't have the opportunity to move soon, though.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I wouldn't, but we're happy where we are -- we like the community we live in, we like our house, we have friends here, family within 2-3 hours' drive, lots of museums and cultural opportunities, a great international community, etc.

I think my biggest concern with moving to a lower cost area would be having to rebuild my whole social network. I'd do it if I had to (for example, if my husband had a job for which he was being relocated), but not just because I wanted a lower cost-of-living.

We're lucky, though -- we bought our house before the housing prices went nuts in the last few years, so while our housing-related costs are high (about 50% of my husband's take-home pay), we don't have trouble making ends meet and saving for the future. We certainly wouldn't be able to afford to buy a house here today! If we didn't already own a house, I think I'd be much more likely to consider relocation to a lower cost-of-living area!

·
Registered
386 Posts
We are making a cross country move in the spring, but we are moving to be closer to family. Lucky for us it is to a much cheaper area. We wil be able to buy twice as much house and a bunch of land with what we sell our house here for and the salery range for dh will be just about the same. We are very excited.

Good luck with your decision.

Shannon

·
Registered
385 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkygirl74 View Post
We are making a cross country move in the spring, but we are moving to be closer to family. Lucky for us it is to a much cheaper area. We wil be able to buy twice as much house and a bunch of land with what we sell our house here for and the salery range for dh will be just about the same. We are very excited.

Good luck with your decision.

Shannon
This is pretty much what we did 2 years ago. I don't know if I would choose to do it again though if there weren't family where we were going. It has been really hard fitting into a new community and I still miss all the friends we left back home. We would never have done it just for the cost. However, if you are outgoing and make friends easily then go for it. (although it is great being able to get more house for the same amount of money)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yes. And we did. Mind you, we never lived in a "high COL area," per se, but the house we live in would be 2-3X as much in the city where dh and I were living when we got together.

We relocated to dh's hometown 3 years ago -- with a six-week-old baby -- for a new job for dh, and what we hoped were long-term prospects at self-employment.

A second pregnancy and some other opportunities came together just one year later -- and we are so glad we made the move. I love being a SAH mom and it is hard to imagine how we could do it comfortably living where we did before.

It hasn't always been easy -- we now live in a community of 4,000 people. It is not exactly "progressive," but people here are very friendly, it is safe, and we all have made friends, though not yet as many as I would like. We are two hours from a MAJOR city (Nashville, TN) and a weekend there usually ends any fantasizing about how great life in the city would be. The traffic, sheer number of people, etc. seem really stressful after living here.

We never lived close to my parents, and remain 8 hours away. The move brought us close to dh's dad and brother, which I honestly would say isn't what one might think it would be. Some major dysfunction there.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts