• I do not live in the US.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What?

Votes: 1 3.1%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
DH and I talked about this a few nights ago. we both came to the conclusion that crossing party lines and voting for McCain would be a very viable option...unless he ran against Obama. I
Obama.

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deirdre
No.

Absolutely not.

Wasn't it just a few weeks ago he was here in California pitching for The Terminators ballot initiatives?
Exactly ... we are talking about the same McCain from Arizona who thought Arnold's initiatives were the greastest thing since sliced bread, right? No, I wouldn't vote for him ...

Now, give me Joe Liberman any day over McCain (heck, I'd vote for Richard Riordan over McCain).

·
Registered
19,139 Posts
I would listen. It would depend on who he was running against. I was all set to vote for him against Shrub in the primary 6 years ago. I would have voted against him in the general, probably... but I try to be open minded. Like Kate42 I would rather be voting for Obama!

(I am quite bitter that he was here in Manhattan a few days ago, doing last minute campaigning for Ferrer and I didn't know in time to track him down and declare my undying love for him.)

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't realize you were in NYC, kama?
:

I've heard from many dyed-in-the-wool democrats that they'd entertain the idea of voting for McCain. At first glance, it seems that the Republicans would be foolish not to push hard for his candidacy.

How's it going for Obama so far? I haven't heard much about him since his amazing speech at the convention.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kama'aina mama
Obama insists he's not going to run for Pres. It is probably early in his career, but who knows? They all play coy before they announce.
I don't see him running in 2008. It's just too early, but we can dream, can't we?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I saw an "Obama '08" bumper sticker last week.

Anyway, I used to like McCain quite a bit, but he has kept his mouth shut about things he should be railing this administration for. I used to think he was a voice of reason in an otherwise inscrutable and scary party, but now I think he is drifting. I don't get him anymore.

L.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leatherette
I saw an "Obama '08" bumper sticker last week.

Anyway, I used to like McCain quite a bit, but he has kept his mouth shut about things he should be railing this administration for. I used to think he was a voice of reason in an otherwise inscrutable and scary party, but now I think he is drifting. I don't get him anymore.

L.
:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
He's the only republican that I can think of who has a smattering of integrity, but the democrat would have to be really, really, really awful (Lieberman, maybe) before I'd vote for McCain.

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
I would *consider* voting for McCain.

I have never actually voted for a Republican in my life.

McCain has been doing some good..his current work on the NA commission with the Cobel vs Norton issue and also his work against torture has gotten my attention and I am keeping my eye on him.

I would be willing to cross party lines if he grows a pair and starts gettings things done rather than pander to the masses.

He could be a good leader...but he does need to stick to his guns.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Sen. John McCain cited Israel as an example of a nation that successfully combats terrorism without resorting to torture...

In recent TV appearances, McCain said he consulted with Israelis about his initiative. "The people in this world that suffer more threats from terrorist attacks and get them every day are the Israelis," McCain said Monday on NBC's "Today" show. "The Israeli Supreme Court outlawed torture, outlawed cruel and inhumane treatment. And I have talked to Israeli officials, and they say they do very fine without it."

McCain made a similar argument on "Fox News Sunday." (JTA, Nov. 7)

But is this borne out by the facts? Not so, according to the Public Committee Against Torture in Israel (PCATI), which notes that despite improvements following the 1999 decision by the Israeli High Court of Justice to ban torture, because of a clause allowing for so-called "moderate physical pressure" in the case of "ticking bombs," it's still a problem in Israel.
http://counterpunch.com/bloom11082005.html

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.