Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Have a Gypsymama gauze custom
, and actually just ordered a second (a "plain" one) from one of the gypsymama distributors.
Love adore crazy about the feel of the gauze and just the beautiful wrap.

Also have an Ellaroo wrap. Loving it ... but am finding it also has a learning curve just with keeping the edges/rails holding everyone and everything in the right way, and I didn't have that situation with the gypsymama gauze.

Maybe the gauze is more "slippery," but I think maybe that's not the right word, because it's not actually slippery and that word might imply some sort of dangerous situation which doesn't exist. Okay. Maybe "slide-y" is a better word. Or nonword.

Does anyone get my point?

Anyway, have heard people compare the Girasol fabrics, or the Storchenwhoever, or the Didymos, or the or the or the ... is there anyone who's done comparisons? And what do you find the differences to be? And which do you prefer?

Just rambling.

Addictions'll do that to ya'.

:LOL

·
Registered
0 Posts
If you visit www.thebabywearer.com you will find lots of comparisons between the wovens. In a nutshell: Gauze is the absolute thinnest (needs to be wrapped carefully to avoid pressure points). Ellaroo is the next thickest, while still pretty cool (funny because I actually found the ER easier to wrap than the gauze) and has fringed ends. The Storchs and Didys are about the same in thickness, although different weaves are thicker/thinner than others. Storchs tend to be tighter woven and slicker feeling, while Didys are very soft - both have tapered ends. Girasols are the thickest of all and have blunt ends. If you haven't tried a german woven yet (Storch/Didy) you should, they are awesome...so comfortable.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
I thought the thread said "woolen"

I was so confused as I was reading.....

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Yes, visit with thebabywearer.com for more info than you ever wanted on wraps :LOL

Just wanted to note that the "thickness" variations are subtle in some cases like the Didy and Girasol. I have both and the Didy is just a bit thinner but perhaps a slightly looser weave. But the Girasol isn't like a heavy blanket or anything...I really like mine and don't find too heavy to wear unless it's sunny and over 78* maybe...this is all subjective too-some may find it more warm than me.

And the gauzes are different too among carriers-some have a softer smoother gauze vs another that is a bit more textured and slightly heavier.

There are some gorgeous wraps out there that's for sure!

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Beware - TBW has so many threads comparing woven wraps that they will drive you crazy :LOL
I agree with the PP that I find the Ellaroo easier to deal with then a gauze wrap - I get pressure points all over if I don't put the gauze wrap on correctly. When it is on right then it is great

Didys are my all time favorite for comfort - once you try one you will never look back

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnR33
unless it's sunny and over 78* maybe...this is all subjective too-some may find it more warm than me.

Yeah, so that would be like, all year long here. Oy! It seriously has been over 95 here every single day for a month. Most days the heat index in the 100's.

I have a Lovewrap Peruvian wrap that I wear all the time - even in the heat. And I'm comfy. Of course, we're both a bit damp when I take her off
They're pretty cheap - about 35 bucks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts