Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the Boston Herald. I couldn't find the link for the online reference - but I thought I would retype it here. I am new to MDC so I hope I am not breaking any rules. I wasn't sure if I should post it here or in Activism but I was SO MOVED by the call to action for the Nurse-in by moms here I thought I would post this......

"Michelle Markin has every right to express her views. And, if she has not liked my work, that is also her right. I am sure she wants to have her facts corrected, so may I correct them now("The View: Bigots on breast-feeding," June 17)?

I have never said, as Malkin quoted, that I consider breast-feeding "gross and disgusting" I am a proponent of it. Our senior producer, Alexandra Cohen, has been bringing her infant son into the office for a year now and she breast-feeds, and she is encouraged to do so.

Elisabeth Hasselbeck, my cohost on "The View", has not given up nursing, as Malkin writes. All she said was that she uses a bottle once a day. And, by the way, she made that remark before I made mine.

I was not flying first class. I was on a crowded shuttle. I was in the window seat, the man next to me was in the middle and the nursing mother was next to him on the aisle. We weren't against the woman breast-feeding. We only suggested perhaps a bit of modesty.

On "The View", we speak extemporaneously. I regrest that it caused discomfort to some.

--- Barbara Walters, New York City "

anyway - just thought I'd share.

·
Registered
11,838 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlawlessg

We only suggested perhaps a bit of modesty.
gah. modesty is subjective, and who cares. does she not realize her ccomments were taped and jimmy kimmell pointed out her lies.

:

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
The facts change everytime the old bat opens her mouth. F her and her modesty.

As for Elisabeth Hasslebeck still nursing. I doubt it. This week she shared a story about how her baby was upset and screaming while in a coffee shop. She made her brother wait in line for hot water for the bottle. If you don't nurse your baby when she's screaming and hungry, then when do you? She shared a similiar story on Monday about how the baby was upset while flying. Nurse her! Her little ears have not aclimatized to the pressure.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlawlessg
I was not flying first class. I was on a crowded shuttle. I was in the window seat, the man next to me was in the middle and the nursing mother was next to him on the aisle. We weren't against the woman breast-feeding. We only suggested perhaps a bit of modesty.
: Does it even MATTER whether she was in first class? As in, how dare someone nurse her infant when I don't have enough room to (ick) get away from it?
Modesty? She doesn't have the first clue about what goes into breasfeeding a young infant. For all her education and worldliness, she's really clueless.

Why doesn't she say something more enlightened and gracious, like, "I'm sorry if there was any offense, it wasn't intended. I will use this as an opportunity to educate myself about this issue." Now, who could have argued with that?

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I have flown many times with DS. Most of the time I have been lucky and able to get the window seat (when I haven't been able to get it officially I have a few times asked someone to switch--I say it is easier to nurse the baby in the window seat). In the aisle seat you have less support for your arms and you have to worry about not leaning into the person next to you. Plus in the aisle you have to be wary of people walking by to go the bathroom. The middle seat is even worse imo. Also, my DS had a projectile vomitting problem for awhile, so my main concern was being vigilant about making sure he didn't throw up on someone else. And then on top of that you have in the back of your mind that if someone doesn't like what you're doing, you can't get away from them and they can't get away from you.

My point is not that bf while you fly is a drag, and that you shouldn't do it! After seeing mamas trying to make bottles on the plane and at the airport I think bf while traveling is way easier. And like a pp said, bf gives you a quick and easy way soothe the baby and prevent ear problems. I would think people would be happier to have a quiet baby next to them and maybe see a breast, than listen to screaming.

I would hope people like BW could be more compassionate about how hard it can be to travel with young children and cut these folks a little slack. With all the problems in the world, being uncomfortable with a woman nursing her baby on an airplane seems like a strange thing to get on your soap box about.

·
Registered
10,797 Posts
I just hope the bf mama in question feels empowered to continue bf'ing her baby after the nurse-in! Assuming she knew BW was on the plane with her and heard her crappy comment afterwards.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I couldn't believe it when i saw the clip of barbara walters with jimmy kimmel pointing out her lies. We have been breastfeeding for 5 weeks now, and one of the problems I have with nursing in public, is the silly blanket. It makes Kyra frustrated and it is annoying. The baby needs to eat, the last thing you should think about is who you are making uncomfortable. The problem i have with barbara is all the backpeddling. Say what you mean, and then stand by it, don't keep trying to change you story to make yourself look good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts