Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyway, I saw this study in Birthkit Newsletter (A Publication of Midwifery Today, Inc, Issue 50, Summer, 2006. The study was done by Fit Pregnancy Magazine Best US Cities to give Birth in. It was really interesting, really, didn't look though the whole site, but still find it was internestin.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Thanks Jessica- great link!

I am not shocked to find that Houston is just as bad as I thought... failing most catagories.

-Angela

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Yep, birthwise, the only advantage in the metro Detroit area is its proximity to several wonderful homebirth midwives. Of course the survey looked at Detroit itself I assume. Pretty troublesome place altogether. Why be pedestrian friendly when the auto companies are here? Or even when the auto companies abandon the city?

Couldn't help but notice though that a catagory they ranked was stroller-friendliness. Babywearing anyone? Not that you'd ever see such a thin in Detroit...

·
Registered
975 Posts
oh I never saw anyone here babywear! I plan to of course. I will be moving back to london before this birth (not that I ever saw a babyslinger there either)

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Atlanta is ranked 19th. I guess that's OK. I am curious to know if they included suburbs in this survey or just the big city, proper?

·
Registered
826 Posts
I'm surprised to see Miami ranked as good. IIRC almost every hospital in Miami has a 40% c-section rate. I know that's not the only thing they considered, but if the section rate is that high... other things that aren't so great must be following the same trend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts