Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe it has taken me this long to realize that my ds wasn't quite like all the other kids. It is like a huge light bulb going off over my head. I read a book about ADHD and it just didn't quite fit. But, when I read the Out of Sync Child, it connected and I could see how Ian is struggling with many of these issues. I sure hope the people who are going to do his evaluation know something about Sensory Integration issues.<br><br>
So, anyone found therapies that can be done at home? Like weighted vests, or sensory balls, or anything that helps?<br><br>
Just wondering.<br><br>
Peace,<br>
Shelbi

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just ordered this book from amazon.com on the advice of the occupational therapist who just evaluated my DS (27 months old). He has been diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder and the OT just diagnosed him with sensory integration dysfunction.<br><br>
I just bought a therapy ball to help him with his trunk muscles (which the OT said seemed a little weak). She also suggested getting him a small backpack and filling it with books for him to carry around. She also said that a bean bag would be beneficial for him as well. I am new to all of this, so I am looking forward to other's responses.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There was a lot of stuff in the back of the book about different stuff to try. I was just wondering what are some of the ones that people have had success with. My ds definitely has some tactile and vestibular issues. Are any of the suggestions in the book really helpful? Just wondering.<br><br>
Peace,<br>
Shelbi<br><br>
P.S. We go for our evaluation soon. I am trying to be prepared so that I can ask the right questions while we are there. But, I am sure this is only the first in a series of steps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts