Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During church service yesterday (FYI, I'm Catholic, so Mass involves lots of kneeling, standing, sitting, etc) I suddenly feel like I'm going to be sick. I jump up, and start making my way to the bathroom at the rear of the church. I had taken about 3 steps when everything went dark, and I couldn't seem to walk in a straight line. About that point, I walk (smack!) into a pillar that I never saw coming. Luckily my husband had caught up to me by that point and carried me out. After laying down for a few minutes, I came around and felt okay, even though I DID get sick later. I called my mw, and she said that this is actually pretty common- I have super low blood pressure anyway, so kneeling and/or sitting for a long time and then jumping up is bad news. Ughhhh....so embarrassing! Not only have I had to run out of Mass twice before to be sick, but now I've passed out too- after making a spectacle of myself. WHERE IS THIS 2nd TRIMESTER GOODNESS I KEEP HEARING ABOUT??

Anyone else have a similiar experience with being dizzy/faint headed/passing out??

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Yeah - I have that too, but not as drastically as you, I think
I worked in an office with filing cabinets from the floor to the ceiling - and I'd always feel that way when filing

I think it's one of those learned skills - not getting up or down too quickly, yk? Just start trying to be conscious of it, right? (like the leg squeeze when you're about to sneeze - it's probably a no brainer by now,
)

Maybe you just need to play the 'pregnant card' at church and just SIT for the service, yk?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Julia24 View Post
I think it's one of those learned skills - not getting up or down too quickly, yk? Just start trying to be conscious of it, right? (like the leg squeeze when you're about to sneeze - it's probably a no brainer by now
LOL the leg squeeze! And here I was thinking I was weird or something for being familiar with that one!

Man, there are so many of these things to keep in mind- not laying on your back, trying to get up slowly, reminding myself about which household cleaners I probably shouldn't be using, and oh yeah, how much caffeine have I had today??

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I almost passed out this weekend too. I was at home, though. Still not fun. I was in the bathroom and got nauseous and light-headed. I think I may have a stomach bug, though. Sorry it happened in church. Toward the end of pregnancy, you might want to wear Depends at church... seems like these things tend to happen at church. I can just imagine your water breaking while you are there.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I'm glad you're okay, sorry you got embarassed!

I had an almost-incident at work a while back. What made it more potentially embarassing was I was talking to a coworker whose wife is pregnant with mono-di twins (for those of you who don't know, mono-di is a high risk twin pregnancy). She's about 5-6 weeks further along than me, and we were talking about the challenges she's facing with weekly ultrasounds, tons of blood work, risk of preterm delivery, risk of losing a twin, etc etc. Suddenly I got the hot flash, dizzy, nauseous feeling and thought I was going to pass out! But here I am talking to him about HIS babies, not MINE!! I couldn't pass out in front of him!

I didn't, I just excused myself when the next pause in the conversation came and got to the nearest bathroom quickly and did some deep breathing!

·
Registered
563 Posts
I am a pretty prolific "passer-outer"
with DD--the grocery store, at work (pedi office), restaurants etc
this time only 2x both at home
it is pretty common, it is always noce when you can "share" the experience with others LOL

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah, I always feel faint at Mass, especially toward the end when it's getting warmer, and warmer, and warmer, and I am really just holding on for the Eucharist

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommam View Post
Yeah, I always feel faint at Mass, especially toward the end when it's getting warmer, and warmer, and warmer, and I am really just holding on for the Eucharist
: Of course, I have found having big kids to take care of during Mass helps distract me too and I am less lightheaded than I used to get with the first 2 kids pregnancies. I also got control of my anemia in the meantime.

·
Registered
623 Posts
DDC crashing..

I have had this happen in both my pregnancies, you're right-embarassing!! The first time was at the grocery store while I was putting items on the counter, everything went dark and I started to sweat instantly but I didnt know what to do so I kept trying to put things on the counter and was knocking cans over, the lady in front of me looked at me like I was drunk
, I thought for sure I was going down but after a minute or two (it felt like forever) I could see again and the horrible nauseaus feeling and darkness went away.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommam View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty proud of myself that on every occasion (both times getting sick and this week's incident) I somehow made it back in time for that

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I've had near fainting spells in the past, but none with pg so far. Mine were due to pain though (muscle spasms in my back), don't think I have issues with low blood pressure. So don't expect it to bother my while pg. . .I am worried though that it will reoccur during labor, since it happened before with severe muscle contractions/pain. I'll have to ask my MW. Its horrible the tunnel vision and the sweating. . .ugh. I would hate to add that to labor itself!

Glad you are ok! Take it easy with the stand-kneel routine.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Scary! I'm glad you're okay!

I tend towards low blood pressure all the time, and the combination of being pregnant and going off of medication that raised my blood pressure slightly means that my BP is really pretty low at times. So I pass out basically any time I stand up too fast, lift my arms over my head first thing in the morning, etc. Haven't done it in public yet while pregnant but... it's only a matter of time.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I passed out at work during my pregnancy with DS and got taken to the hospital and monitored in L&D.

I have been very dizzy in the morning with this pregnancy lately too, especially after I eat breakfast for some reason. I usually like to take DS on a walk after breakfast but when I tried to do so Saturday, I almost passed out again--good thing DH was with us.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I believe the 2nd trimester goodness is a myth people tell women to get them through the first trimester. I'm not as bad as I was, but I'm certainly not good yet. I'm dizzy all the time, but I've managed not to faint yet. Now that I'm 18 weeks I keep hearing "Just wait until your 3rd trimester and you'll feel amazing" BS I tell you. BS.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I passed out my first pregnancy right about week 16. We were camping, I had s'mores the night before (way too many) and got up fast right after daybreak to go to the bathroom. Of course I got up quickly because the bathroom was a hike, got out of the tent and crash. Scared the living whatever out of DH since he didn't know where a hospital was and we had no cell service at all out there. I think it was just a huge blood sugar crash - I was fine after (and REALLY had to pee!).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.