Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to this board but you all seem pretty knowledgeable about baby wearing.

I have a son who will be 7 months next week. I haven't 'wore' him much yet (I hope it's not too late!) but he really enjoys it when I do. The carrier I have atm is a cheap unbranded one my mil picked up for my when I was pregnant. It's similar to the Babybjorn in looks & the back support is useless
And it is so difficult to get baby in & out of. So I really do need a new carrier. At the moment I'm using a travel system but soon DS will have outgrown his infant carseat (he's around 19 - 20lb) and I'm too lazy to have to strap him in & out of his pram all the time.

So I have been browsing the internet for carriers/mai teis and none really seem to fit my expectations, so I am thinking about wrapping (have looked at the Moby wraps and they seem good). I guess my main requirement is that they are easy to get baby in & out of and you can do it without an extra pair of hands as that is my main issue with the carrier I have now.

Any thoughts / tips/ words of advice?
Ta x

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hi

It's so great you are thinking about wrapping. 7 months is not too late, just remember to give yourself and your baby time to get used to it. Especially since wrapping has a bit of a learning curve.

I am addicted to wrapping, I started with a moby D wrap which was great when ds was little. But I started trying back carries when he was six months and found the moby not very good for this(too strechy not long enough). So I bought a length of cotton guaze fabric and have been using it ever since. If you want to go store bought, I would recommend any non-strechy woven wrap. Others can probably give you their personal favorites.

The front carry is really easy to learn and can pop the baby in and out without undoing the wrap. When he gets heavier you'll want to start trying back carries, they take practise but once you get the hang of it it's amazing
I learned to wrap by looking at instructions on mamatoto and I've heard the babywearer site is really good too.

Sorry this is so long. Hope I helped a bit and let us know what you want to try

Jenny

·
Premium Member
2,748 Posts
Look for babywearing groups near you. Try searching meet up dot com or yahoo groups. You might be able to go try out a range of different carriers so you have a better idea of what you want.

With a MT, SSC or wrap you should be able to get the baby in without extra hands. A soft structured carrier would be fastest. You might find that easier.

·
Registered
283 Posts
hi, welcome.

I think your babe will be bit heavy for stretchy moby ones, but I think moby came out with woven ones now, if I'm right. For older babes you'd want a woven wrap for more support.

If your priority is more utilitarian, then you may want to go the soft structured carrier route, such as ergo. Those are the easiest to learn and pop baby in and out. Some people say ring sling or pouch is good for popping baby in and out fast and easy, but personally, I don't like carriers that goes only over one shoulder. It's not good for your spine. Mei tai is also good option, if you want something more prettier and that is also relatively easy to use.
Wraps are really versatile, but you'd have a longer learning curve and there is more of "art" to it if you will, if you want a comfortable shoulder carrying about 20lb babe, whereas SSC are no-brainers.

PM me if you have more specific questions.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
i agree, i think a structure carrier would be the easiest/quickest and the shortest learning curve. a Moby is not going to be great with a 7 mo, too stretchy, and a woven wrap is going to be fiddly at first while you learn. i personally only wrap when my babies are teeny, once they want up and down more i get annoyed at my wraps

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh that is great advice, thank you. I wouldn't have known otherwise. Got DS weighed yesterday and he was 19lb 15oz, so quite a big 7 month old too.

I have been looking at the structured carriers. And the Ergo definitely appeals, and looks very easy to use according to the DVD on the website. One question, if baby is not used to being worn in the 'froggy leg' position that Mai teis, Ergo etc have, then do they adapt quickly to it? Sorry - silly question, but I was wondering.

·
Registered
283 Posts
"Froggy legs" position is only for really small babes who like to be upright facing in or out. Most babies are ready to sit straddling their legs out to the side from 5 months or so.

When you first try it on, make sure your baby is not too hungry and not too tired and try to go for a walk if you are worried about him not liking being worn!
:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonyoungi View Post
"Froggy legs" position is only for really small babes who like to be upright facing in or out. Most babies are ready to sit straddling their legs out to the side from 5 months or so.

When you first try it on, make sure your baby is not too hungry and not too tired and try to go for a walk if you are worried about him not liking being worn!
:
Great advice!! I can't agree more. Wrapping with a heavy baby is great when you have previous experiences, because the learning curve. I started babywearing when my DD was almost 9 months, with an ergo and a ring sling. I love it both. DD gets used very quickly to be carried. I love wrapping my DS, now 4 months and 17 pounds.
Good luck!

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
I'm still using the Moby with my six month old 20 lb kidlet, so it can be done despite all the people who say it can't. I find it works just fine when she is in the front. However, I am just starting to use it for back carries (before now she was unwilling) and I think it will prove to not be the best for my back. Because it stretches she can wriggle around in ways that make me nervous when I can't see to check on her.

I don't yet have a mobile kid, but I do pick her up and set her down a lot and I still prefer wraps. I'm thinking about getting a woven wrap though. There are an awful lot of options.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.