Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a lot of pain in my right wrist at night only. I will wake up sometimes because the pain is so intense.<br><br>
Is this pregnancy related?

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
Is it computer-related? Seriously. Pregnancy can make you swell all over and then using the mouse will make your wrist swell even more. Lots of pg women get carpal tunnel/repetitive stress injury. I don't let my hand rest on the mouse when I am not using it and it helps.

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
All of my Dr.'s have told me that pg women are more prone to carpal tunnel because our body is putting out hormones to loosen up our joints. I sleep with two wrist braces because I keep waking up in the middle of the night with numb hands. So the short answer is yes, it can be pg related.<br>
Gossamer

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll have to see if I can find my box of work stuff (if I still have it) and get my brace out. Ugh

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Yes. I got tendonitis in both wrists with pg #1. My internist at the time said it was actually more common in pg women than carpal tunnel, although you never hear about it.<br><br>
I also used the computer a lot for work at the time. It cleared up in both wrists after DD was born, but one took months longer than the other. It threatened to come back earlier in my current pregnancy, but so far has not. I think it's because I used the computer much more with pg #1 and I put on about 15-20 lbs more, too, which could not have helped my poor tendons.<br><br>
Anyway, wrist guards and anti inflamatories are what i used to make it go away. It is also common with new moms, as nursing and carrying baby can be very repetitive and awkward.<br><br>
Good luck!

·
Banned
2,097 Posts
Tehre are wrist supports you can purchase to stop wrist movement (I used to haev one.) I would suggest lookign at gettign one, as motion with the wrist currently with it beign so aggravated will only make it worse. I have CTS and in the past it has been so painful that everytime I would move my wrist it felt like I was being electrocuted.<br><br>
And by the way, pregnancy can actually cause CTS!<br><br><a href="http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/brochure/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=5&topcategory=Hand" target="_blank">http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/brochure/t...pcategory=Hand</a>

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Hey Ladies,<br><br>
I am having this again (after getting relief while pg with ds) and I am hoping to get in to see my chiro next week. The last time he did an adjustment and then the massotherapist gave me an armpit massage from hell. It hurt like mad (I cried) but the symptoms all went away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts