Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi mamas, I don't hang out here much (I seem to be stuck over at Diggin in the earth) but as my siggy says, I am working on my first completed novel.
So far I have done one draft and one edit. In my editing I realized that I needed a better last chapter. I know what the last chapter needs to be; I just have to write it. Only I'm struggling with writing it. My heart beats fast every time I think about it.

I have an editor (someone I am paying) lined up to read it when I am done. Once I get her perspective I will rewrite again.

I know that there is a very good chance it will never make it anywhere. Although, I'm trying to put it out into the universe that it my book will be published.

Ahhhhh, anyone know what my deal is and how I can work through it? I've worked really hard on this. I want to finish it.

· Registered
1,845 Posts
First, Congrats on getting the first draft done! That is an amazing accomplishment!

Second, don't say things like this to yourself/about yourself:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blooming View Post

I know that there is a very good chance it will never make it anywhere.

Be kind to yourself, mama! You did an amazing thing! Think positive thoughts. Imagine that it IS published and flying off the shelf at the bookstore! People are calling you wondering when you are going to write your next book!

· Registered
1,281 Posts
You are suffer from a pretty common affliction - writer's block comes in the form you are describing as well as the more traditional, 'lack of ideas' type. Typically, to create, we need to be ready. I know for me I do all sorts of displacement activities while I'm sorting things out. Then after a while I *know* I need to write, but I just can't do it. I do everything but write.

Every writer needs a different technique to find a way to just push on and write - for some deadlines help, even if they are artificial ones. One thing that helps me is to turn off the internet, turn off the phone, ignore the mess around me and set a timer for one hour. During that hour I have to write. I don't let myself do anything else. Usually about 20 minutes in I'm good to go and I end up ignoring the timer and writing for a few hours.

And stop sending yourself negative messages.

· Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I do need to stop with the negative messages. I think I feel a bit jinxed as everything else I have published was accepted the first time it was sent out.

I also think I am a bit afraid. It has always been my dream to write a novel. I have started many (back to the third grade) and finished none.

This will be my first finished novel.

· Registered
141 Posts
That's exactly where I am - scared of success! I'm close to my dream and it's almost paralyzing.

I thought I had writer's block when I was finally facing the chance of writing for a living. I had no ideas. But then I started writing a blog - something completely different from what I was "supposed" to be writing - and suddenly it is as if, well, a block, has been removed. I wake up at night with ideas and everything happening around me becomes a sentence in my head.

I echo the "think positive" sentiments. I'm a huge believer in manifesting your dreams (that's the focus of my blog, actually). So YOU WILL write the last chapter and it WILL be a great one!

· Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Joanna- I just read a bit of your bog and it made me think of something that has been happening to me in terms of serendipity.

I'll post on your blog tomorrow; right now I'm sleepy from writing two pages of my last chapter.
:

Thanks for your positive energy.

· Registered
1,812 Posts
Do you have a writer's group? I've found it invaluable to have a few folks to meet with regularly and share writing.

Positive thinking!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.