Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
6,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you get a 6 yr old to write that does NOT want to write? I can get her to write teeny bits of stuff here and there when doing various subjects. But if I ask her to sit and write on lined paper specifically designed for writing, no way. Should I just let it rest and get what writing I can out of her for now, hoping she will change as she gets older or should I push the issue more. Just curious as to what others have done.

And yes, I've tried creative things like chalkboards and dry erase boards. She will write more on those things but ends up just drawing pictures most of the time.

· Registered
632 Posts
My ds doesn't enjoy structured writing either, but he loves when it's for a specific reason. He'll write my reminders out for the day, the shopping list, a letter to his friend in Brooklyn or to his favorite sports star, how many of each coin he has, what he wants for Christmas, Halloween costume ideas, which products at the supermarket are healthy and which are junky, a story to make a book out of, etc.

He could do this all day.

· Registered
1,548 Posts
I think 6 sounds too young to write much on lined paper. What are you asking her to write? I found that my son was much more willing to practice hand writing AND be creative when I separated the physicial task of writing from the intellectual exercise of figuring out what to say. So, he wanted at age 7 to learn cursive, so he did a couple lines a WEEK of copywork, so he could just practice the mechanics of forming letters. When he had something to write down for a project, if it was more than a quick list, I would do the writing or typing for him, so he could focus on getting his ideas out. On his own he'd do things like filling several pages of a small notebook with planning his birthday party - who to invite, what food/drink, what color napkins, etc. or writing a toy wish list several times over.

I'd offer to write for her, when she has a story to tell or is telling you information; and at the same time encourage her to write for her own purposes: a shopping list, what I want to do today, short notes to family/friends, books I want from the library, etc. - things that are short, but have meaning for her. Also, do you write? Does she see you write? I think it's important for parents to model doing what they say is important for kids to do.

eta: when kids don't want to do something, I think it's important to dig into the reasons, rather than find a way to force it. I have found it's more often the task is too easy, to hard, not developmentally appropriate or not meaningful, and it's worth trying to adjust expectations and/or change my approach.

· Registered
1,034 Posts
My son only really likes to write when it's a letter to someone. So we send letters every week! He writes to old friends, grandparents, even family that lives in our same neighborhood.

At this age, though, he prefers to dictate the letter to me, then copy it in his own handwriting. That's fine with me. I think it's too much pressure to think through what he wants to write AND try to spell everything at the same time.

· Registered
8,827 Posts
My just turning 7 yo has only written twice. Both times were notes to the tooth fairy and done on a chalk board. Keep in mind, drawing is using all the same muscles as writing and is building up her dexterity.

· Registered
873 Posts
Quote:
How do you get a 6 yr old to write that does NOT want to write?
I didn't. At 6 yo my ds really didn't want to write. So I pretty much did the writing. We would work on narrations, and I would write, so he was getting skills at summarizing what he heard. I would write out his stories, so he was developing skills for creative writing. Ds would do Handwriting without Tears, so that is how he practiced handwriting. As ABand3 suggested, separating out the technical writing from the other skills was very helpful for us. And ds is 9yo is starting to do his own creative writing-- stories, poems, etc...

· Premium Member
8,993 Posts
Well, you probablyknow what I'm going to say
... But others have already said it, and said it well.

I can't think of any reason for a 6 year old to have to write. My thinking on this has nothing to do with "unschooling" either - it has to do with just waiting for all the pieces to come together for it to be an easy and pleasant experience that has a reason. I'd let her just draw those picture. Heck, my son couldn't even draw a picture at her age, much less write. I dropped him off at a cub scout meeting one day when he was 8, knowing there was going to be some writing required for the project they were making, and I was mortified to think of how the moms of the other boys, all in school, were going to react when they saw him struggling. I went back to pick him up, and they didn't even know what I was talking about when I brought it up - they all cracked up, because all their boys wrote like him! But theirs had started in 1st grade when they were 6! Mine had started in 1st grade in school when he was 7, and not been forced to do it since. But he's doing fine. His writing eventually grew with him, and he had no trouble at all by the time he entered college. Oh - and he was also able to draw very well by then.
- Lillian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.