Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3 year old was in a store 2 weeks ago and was injured. I am regretting letting him out of my sight for 2 seconds, I am just thankful it wasn't worse. (I feel like a terrible mother and my heart aches just thinking about it).

Basically, the store was closed, we were the last customers finalizing a bed order, he ran around the edge of one of the beds out of my eyesight for a few seconds, turns out he was trying to get a balloon that was on a bed frame that had no mattress on it. We're not sure exactly what happened as it happened so fast, but the headboard fell on him. It was a metal one that managed to go "over" his head - his head went through/under it if that makes sense. He said it did not hit him on the head, but said it hit him on the back. It was clear that it scraped his cheek as it fell over his head, and appeared to have also hit him in the side of the neck possibly - ie it scraped down his cheek landing on his neck where it pinned him from behind/beside his neck on to the cross beams of the bottom bed frame.

He was crying, (obviously) but seemed to be crying more out of fear and calmed quickly. He was more stuck "between" the headboard and bed rails than "under" it if that makes sense, but it did have him pinned there.

I of course, was horrified, but since his cry was more of a scared than hurt one, he could talk, was perfectly normal 5 seconds later and didn't seem to have much more than a scraped cheek, I thought I would just keep an eye on him. The next day he had a small welt/slighlty bruised area on the side of his neck, but it was faint. I kept a close eye on it though thinking it was close to an artery, (ie in the side of his neck, not sure if that would make a difference) but it seemed to be gone within a day or so and never really turned in to a "real" bruise.

However, since the accident, he has complained about 5 times that his "back" hurts, (at random times, mostly when he's sitting still) and when we ask him where, he points to the back of his neck. He pulls away slightly if I try to feel his neck there, but doesn't seem in tons of pain, sleeps soundly like always, jumps on the bed, bops his head to music, dances, is participating in all his activities, and generally has not had any other complaints.

However, I'm concerned about his saying his back hurts and pointing to the back of his neck as this was where the headboard landed.

I am not crazy about taking him to a Dr. and having ten zillion xrays or ??? done if not necessary, but I don't want to ignore it if it's something bothering him or that could cause problems. I was considering taking him to a chiropractor I've started seeing who specializes in pregnant moms and babies/kids, but I don't want her prodding around in there if it could be something else serious?

WWYD? Doctor or chiropractor or ??

Kathy.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Sounds like a scary experience.
When my son fell at the playground a couple of months ago and was complaining about his back and was limping a little bit I took him to the chiro... not the first chiro experience for us. It went really really well. Many Chiropractors are trained to work with childen these days. They will order x rays if they feel it is warrented... they know what they are doing and know to look for signs of serious injury.
Good luck!
( what did the store manager say?)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.