Mothering Forum banner

wwyd-birth control

1K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  2tadpoles 
#1 ·
even though roland and i aren't ever going to have sex again...that doesnt' mean that i'm not going to ever have sex again...and I would like to wait until Cayden and Caleb are older to have more kids.

I had decided on the mirena IUD before me and R decided to have 4 kids closer together and I was going to get it after Cayden was born. then we decided to have the other two kiddos rather quickly and I never thought anymore about it.

but now we're not together and i'm starting college and I just think it would be a good idea to get it. what would you do? would you get it even tho you aren't really in a relationship? I doubt I'll have any problems with sleeping around as so far R is the only man i've been with. It is the ONLY form of birth control that (after research) is acceptible. its either mirena IUD or nothing.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
as a bit more background info...I have been on the bc pill 2x and it was just not for me. the patch has unnacceptible side effects and the depo as well. the nuvaring i would get except i'm planning on breastfeeding. I dont want to rely on only condoms.

I had a dream last night that i got pregnant and it was a disaster. as much as I love kids and want more i just want to be a bit more stable before having anymore. I will talk to my dr about it.

Discussion starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla
I wouldn't get an IUD unless I was in a stable sexual relationship- I wouldn't risk the side effects if I wasn't even sure I'd be having sex at all!
I'm just curious which side effects you were referring to.

Discussion starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla
I'm not overly familiar with the IUD- as I don't use one I've never fully researched it. I'm just hesitant to put anything into my body without good reason.
ah. I have researched it. it has many of the same side effects as the minipill except less of the digestive side effects. there is small risk of perforation which is even smaller since it is plastic. I have not *fully* researched all the side effects that are different from the pill as I do need birth control and of all the other methods this is the one that was least objectional. the worst of it I think is that it can take *up to a year* after removal to get full fertility back. I'm just really scared that it'll come back out

Discussion starter · #18 ·
i was considering the paragard but they have some risks associated with lactating mothers (a higher incidence of expulsion and perforation) i'm not wanting to risk.

girlie librarian--the mirena iud has less hormones than the minipill..how can you think that it affects milk supply? I think the IUD is even LESS likely to affect milk supply then the minipill. I was on the minipill while nursing my toddler and it had no effect on my milk supply.

Discussion starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TechnoGranola
Have you checked out a diaphragm or cervical cap? There's some nifty new ones out that don't require a fitting, FemCap, Lea's Shield. You could use these in combo with condoms. Or the sponge in combo with condoms.

You mentioned you had unwelcome effects from other methods of hormonal birth control so I'd be hesitant to get the Mirena.
i had unwelcome effects from the combination pill. I had no problems with the minipill I just don't want the hassle. You have made a good point though
that is also my primary reason for not wanting a diaphram or cervical cap. I'm not even sure if i'll be having sex in the near future I just want a back up just in case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.