Mothering Forum banner

wwyd-birth control

1K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  2tadpoles 
#1 ·
even though roland and i aren't ever going to have sex again...that doesnt' mean that i'm not going to ever have sex again...and I would like to wait until Cayden and Caleb are older to have more kids.

I had decided on the mirena IUD before me and R decided to have 4 kids closer together and I was going to get it after Cayden was born. then we decided to have the other two kiddos rather quickly and I never thought anymore about it.

but now we're not together and i'm starting college and I just think it would be a good idea to get it. what would you do? would you get it even tho you aren't really in a relationship? I doubt I'll have any problems with sleeping around as so far R is the only man i've been with. It is the ONLY form of birth control that (after research) is acceptible. its either mirena IUD or nothing.

#2 ·
I went with the traditional birth control pills - but I also wanted to level out my hormones. It has only been 2 full months since I began and I am so happy with my decision. I don't know what I would have chosen if I did not have my hormone control issue.

I don't think I have offered any useful advice to you, but I wanted to share. Good luck.

Maybe you won't really need it yet, but then it is not a bad idea to be prepared either.

#3 ·
I would probably get it, I myself use the copper iud, and have three times (over 9 years and 4 kids)

after my marriage ended (when ds #2 was 18 months) I thought it was likely I would want more kids one day, but not anytime soon. (like you I was in college ) I used the depo shot, which was a stupid decision. I wish I had been more thoughtful about it and gotten another iud. the depo shot caused me to gain 25lbs over 9 months (three shots) and then when I met my new partner and quit using it. once we decided to ttc it took 6 months to become pg.

#5 ·
as a bit more background info...I have been on the bc pill 2x and it was just not for me. the patch has unnacceptible side effects and the depo as well. the nuvaring i would get except i'm planning on breastfeeding. I dont want to rely on only condoms.

I had a dream last night that i got pregnant and it was a disaster. as much as I love kids and want more i just want to be a bit more stable before having anymore. I will talk to my dr about it.

#6 ·
research, research, RESEARCH any kind of birth control before you go on it. I got the depo shot twice and it was the biggest mistake ever. I have been off it for almost 9 mos now and I still have issues from it. I have not ovulated in over a year, and I get my period every two weeks, sometimes MORE
It really messes up your hormones.

I've also been on birth control pills, and they were ok. I've decided to stop all synthetic forms of birth control altogether. I got the book "Taking charge of your fertility" and I use NFP.

Whatever form of birth control you decide on, research it. Type it into google and look through some results. Had I known that there was a depo provera discussion board on the ill effects, and a class-action lawsuit against depo for osteoporosis I would have never gotten it.

#8 ·
I would go ahead and get the Mirena, but still rely on condoms for protection from STDs. I had a copper IUD put in and after my XH and I divorced I relied on condoms but still had the IUD. Once my now-DH and I were in a serious relationship we dropped the condoms but it was convenient to already have the IUD in place.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CalebsMama05
i just hate to rely on *just* condoms kwim.
Same here, I felt better knowing that I had my IUD as a back-up to the condoms.

eta: I just noticed this was in the Single Parenting forum, sorry to butt in, mamas.

#11 ·
I have the mirena iud, I have had it for almost 5 months now. I don't even feel like I'm using birth control, I haven't had any real side effects ya know. I really like it. Depo was HORRIBLE for me, and dd1 was concieved on just the pill, the patch HURT taking off (even after using baby oil to take off). And the ring, i would just be too scared of it shifting just enough for me to get pg. Def decide what is right for you. Good luck.

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla
I wouldn't get an IUD unless I was in a stable sexual relationship- I wouldn't risk the side effects if I wasn't even sure I'd be having sex at all!
I'm just curious which side effects you were referring to.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla
I'm not overly familiar with the IUD- as I don't use one I've never fully researched it. I'm just hesitant to put anything into my body without good reason.
ah. I have researched it. it has many of the same side effects as the minipill except less of the digestive side effects. there is small risk of perforation which is even smaller since it is plastic. I have not *fully* researched all the side effects that are different from the pill as I do need birth control and of all the other methods this is the one that was least objectional. the worst of it I think is that it can take *up to a year* after removal to get full fertility back. I'm just really scared that it'll come back out

#16 ·
I settled on the Paragard (copper) IUD. The hormonal one can interfere with the supply of breastmilk and I didn't want to take that chance. I love my IUD and have had it for little over a year now.

There aren't any side effects and the long-term efficiency is nice. I don't think I would have minded a pill, but I didn't want my milk supply to drop.

A few years ago, I had the patch. It made me soooo itchy. Not to mention that the color didn't match any part of my body. Just a mess...

Depo is a nightmare. I had it for two years or so while I was in college. It took two plus years to get my cycle back and that was with the help of a lot of estrogen pills. Depo is the product from hell. We won't even discuss the weight gain... Or the thinning of hair that my best friend experienced...

#17 ·
I have the Mirena IUD and I've had it for over 2 years now. It didn't interfere with breastfeeding at all. I love it. I kwym with not trusting condoms completely, I do the double protection too. The doctor who put it in wasn't all that comfortable because I wasn't married, but I was able to assure her that I know the hazards of sex (like DS, and I'm not saying I don't love and adore him, he just wasn't planned) and I plan on using condoms as well, I just wanted the backup birth control. I know way to many people who got pregnant using condoms. I say go for it, just remember that birth control isn't STD control.

Also, from the research I did the when the Mirena is removed your fertile right away. That was 2 years ago though.

#18 ·
i was considering the paragard but they have some risks associated with lactating mothers (a higher incidence of expulsion and perforation) i'm not wanting to risk.

girlie librarian--the mirena iud has less hormones than the minipill..how can you think that it affects milk supply? I think the IUD is even LESS likely to affect milk supply then the minipill. I was on the minipill while nursing my toddler and it had no effect on my milk supply.

#19 ·
Have you checked out a diaphragm or cervical cap? There's some nifty new ones out that don't require a fitting, FemCap, Lea's Shield. You could use these in combo with condoms. Or the sponge in combo with condoms.

You mentioned you had unwelcome effects from other methods of hormonal birth control so I'd be hesitant to get the Mirena.

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TechnoGranola
Have you checked out a diaphragm or cervical cap? There's some nifty new ones out that don't require a fitting, FemCap, Lea's Shield. You could use these in combo with condoms. Or the sponge in combo with condoms.

You mentioned you had unwelcome effects from other methods of hormonal birth control so I'd be hesitant to get the Mirena.
i had unwelcome effects from the combination pill. I had no problems with the minipill I just don't want the hassle. You have made a good point though
that is also my primary reason for not wanting a diaphram or cervical cap. I'm not even sure if i'll be having sex in the near future I just want a back up just in case.

#21 ·
Just wanted to throw my anecdote out there to balance things.

After my youngest was born, I decided upon an IUD. It was the copper sort. Everyone I knew who'd had one loved it, and at the time I was working in an OB/GYN office, so I'd seen my share of users.

From the first month, my periods got so incredibly heavy that I could barely function at work. I was going through a super tampon about every hour. I had terrible cramps, which were not the norm for me. I had this IUD for about six months, altogether. My practitioner kept trying to tell me that my body had to get used to it.

After my third period with an IUD, I got a bacterial vaginal infection. This happened after my period every month until the darn device was removed. I was told it was probably a combination of the very heavy bleeding and possibly the copper altering my pH balance.

To add insult to injury, the little "string" that is supposed to hang out of the cervix decided to crawl up inside. So I wound up in the OR to have my IUD removed, because it couldn't be reached by normal means, even with ultrasound guidance. When I was in the OR, I was found to have a badly inflamed uterine lining and wound up with a D&C while I was there.

XH had a vasectomy after that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.