Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dh and I both got paid this week, and I was hoping that my travel reimbursement would come. It didn't, and that means that I can't pay the mortgage and still have money left for gas and food until next week.
Our mortgage is due on the 1st, but we've been paying closer to the 15th (no penalty) for probably a year because of due dates for other bills. I'm working on that end, but in the meantime, I don't know what to do! I've never, ever not paid my mortgage.

I was thinking about calling the mtg company and asking if we could pay just principal/interest and not the escrow for this month, because I think we have an overage in our escrow anyway (which means they'll send us a check next month). Is this a good idea?

I have other budget issues, too, but I'll post those seperately.

·
Registered
174 Posts
That would be my initial thought although I'm no expert as I've been a homeowner for all of 5 months.

Good luck...I know that must be a scary situation to be in. I hope the mtg company will work with you!

·
Registered
726 Posts
It sounds like you can pay the mortgage if you don't spend any money on food and gas. Have you explored all of your options for food and transport? What is available to you as far as public transportation, carpooling, walking, eating from your pantry and freezer, food banks, Angel Food Ministry, etc.?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can stretch the food we do have for a bit, but with two teens in the house, buying some food will be necessary. We could probably scope out the food pantry, so I'll look into that. The transportation situation is what it is -- we don't have public transportation in our area, and both dh and I commute 30+ miles each way. Neither of us have co-workers near us.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Definitely call them and try to work something out. My guess is they'd rather work with you than have to deal with a missed payment which could cause you to get further behind.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Or you can call and see if you can pay part now and the rest once you get the travel reimbursement. The main thing is to call the company right away to see what you can work out.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Everything everybody else said about calling your bank, but I want to underscore the pp who mentioned pushing for your travel reimbursement. I used to do a bunch of travel for work and our company got in the habit of paying too slowly...at one point some of the senior consultants had over $10,000 on their personal credit cards...it isn't a fair position to put you in.

In the meantime, do you have anything you could sell? I just unloaded a bunch of broken jewlery at a Cash for Gold site and got a decent check (I know I sound like a cheesy commercial, but it was really very cool!)

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dh and I are going to call the bank and see what we can do. I figure sending something is better than nothing -- hopefully they'll think so too.

Wildmonkeys -- I was just thinking that I've got some old gold jewelry that maybe I could sell, and a beautiful diamond anniversary band that, for personal reasons, I no longer want, though I don't know if I'd get anything for that. Can't hurt to try, though, I guess!

I did return a few Christmas gifts to the store and got cash for groceries, so that's a start.

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
It sounds like you have money coming next week? Worst case scenario, if you're one week late on your mortgage it wouldn't be the end of the world. It doesn't get reported to the credit companies until you're 30 days late. On my mortgage, it's a $25 fee if it's late.
But for sure, call the bank and see what you can do, and see if you can get your travel reimbursement.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I would call them and tell them your situation. They care most about the interest being paid, then the escrow account then the principal. As long as you want to send them something, you should be alright.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.