Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I shopped around for my DCP, I found one very close to my work, and she charges the going rate around here... $125 per week. She includes meals, diapers and wipes.

Two of my co-workers pay less for their CC. One uses a licensed day care, and the other uses an unlicensed neighbor.

I am really happy with our DCP. DD seems to love it there.

Money is tight, and saving a $100 or $200 a month sounds nice... but I also worry about what the switch will do to DD. I also REALLY like the convenience of where the provider is located.

Things my coworkers say I should find.... someone who does not charge for holidays/days we are not there. Personally, I LOVE that I get holiday and sick pay, and feel unethical about expecting that from my DCP. I mean unless the provider's initial contract is that the provider does not charge for those then I'm fine with it, but I feel wrong expecting it. Does this make sense to anyone else?

I don't want to switch, by my co-workers are acting like I'm paying for fillet mignon when I'm on a rump roast budget. I'm honestly paying market rate, I checked. They just have providers charging less than market rate.

I guess I'm just thinking out loud here. Sorry.

Any ideas about what to say to my co-workers? I'd like to gently tell them to bug off.

Or does anyone out there think I should switch or shop around?

Thanks for reading.

· Registered
1,527 Posts
I would scrimp somewhere else. A good relationship with a caregiver is well worth the extra money, not to mention the continuity for your child.
I am wondering if your coworkers are feeling competetive about daycares, like if you pay more yours must be better than theirs?
Suzy

· Premium Member
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm wondering that too...

One wants me to switch to hers... only hers is about 5 miles one way out of the way... add at least 20 miles... because of traffic that would add an hour or so a day.

· Registered
1,990 Posts
ITA with the PP--it's none of their business, and frankly, having someone you love, in a location that works for you, is more than worth an extra $100 or so a month, IMHO! (Of course I pay $300 a week... so I am finding it hard to relate... LOL)

· Registered
1,867 Posts
As the pps said, scrimp somewhere else; having a dcp that you love is priceless, really really priceless. I'm not sure where you live but you would never find anything close for that price here. Even in Ann Arbor (a smaller town) the dcp we had that we loved was $200 a week, we supplied diapers, wipes and meals. I almost decided not to move because we loved her so much!

Tell your co-workers that your child's happiness and well being is more important to you than saving a buck. Jeez...this is your child we're talking about, not something where the lowest price wins just because its the lowest price!

· Registered
609 Posts
I agree with all the previous posters-a care provider that you like is worth every penny you pay.

I also haven't talked to any providers who don't charge you for days that your child isn't there. If this is how your child care provider makes a living how can they afford to not charge you a consistent price.

· Registered
1,719 Posts
I agree w/ the PPs! If you have a good situation w/ the DCP then definitely stay if you can!

Just doing a quick back-of-the-envelope calculation on gas, if the one DCP is 5 miles out of the way, that is an extra ~10 miles/day and 50 miles/week, which is an extra ~$7-10 in gas per week....

Our former DCP closed, and we had to switch to one that is more out of the way, and the worst part about it is the drive there and home w/ DD - she gets so bored and frustrated in the car!!! I would definitely pay more for somewhere more convenient, just to eliminate that frustration and to have more quality (non-car) time with DD.

Your time is valuable too, so if a new DCP adds extra time to your commute, that is an indirect cost to you as well...

good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.