Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter is 3 1/2 and just exposed to CP this weekend. I know that the most LIKELY date of breakout would be Saturday the 2nd of December, but of course it could be 4 days earlier or a week later. AND I believe they may be contagious a day before spots appear. Is that correct?

My question is this. Her school knows she has been exposed. Out of respect for others (since we know that even vaxxed kids can get mild cases of pox) what should I do? I don't want her to miss school if she's not ill, both for her fun and for my work productivity! Especially as she may be ill for some time (and then hopefully her older brother too).

I had thought of keeping her home the Friday before the 14 day mark out of kindness and hoping she gets it that weekend. But if she doesn't, I don't want to have to keep her out for the whole next week until I'm sure she doesn't come down with it!

Should I just talk to her teacher and see if she knows of any children in her class who may be vulnerable to complications if they catch it? I worry less about her brother because his class is only 10 children and they don't interact with other classes as much as the pre-schoolers do. Not to mention, first graders are amazingly much less likely to suck on fingers and toys or sneeze directly in someone's face (most of the time!).

Any thoughts? I want to be responsible but I also want to not over-react. Personally I (of course) think it would be good for the other kids to be exposed, but I realize that MY choice is not THEIR choice (as it shouldn't be).

TIA

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm so overly conscientious! It's a childhood disease much less problematic than whatever influenza virus that has at least 1/4 of their school knocked out. Thanks for the reassurance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts