Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD is 3.5. From the time she was a baby she has been very alert, high-spirited, precocious and bright. She no longer naps but sleeps from 6 pm to 6 am. She could probably use more sleep but she fights any attempts at getting her to nap.<br><br>
DD loves books and would 'read' them all day if she could. She has memorized our home library of books and flips through the pages reciting them. Even complicated stories - she will paraphrase (like Beatrix Potter etc). We borrow books from the library frequently.<br><br>
I know she is bright and I'm wondering if she is bored but what I don't understand is why she is very destructive or what to do about it.<br><br>
During the time when DS is napping DD and I will read together or separately and then sometimes we will bake something - I am trying to keep her busy and involve her in some tasks around the house and/or enjoy relaxing and reading. The problem is she ends up being very destructive - rubbing the pages of her books between her fingers until the pages tear, pulling pages out of the cookbooks I am using, crushing cookie cutters, spreading pieces of play dough all over the floor, ripping up crafts, pulling out her doll's hair etc.<br><br>
Today I thought it would be nice to do some painting together with watercolours. She dumped the paintbrush rinse water all over the table onto her brother's lap - on purpose. There was blue water everywhere.<br><br>
If she and her brother are playing with blocks she will crash all of the towers. She pretends to wash dishes by throwing them with force into a cupboard. If I get her to draw she ends up throwing all of the crayons around the floor. I try to give her as much detail about expectations before embarking on a craft (treat the crayons gently, etc.).<br><br>
I don't know how to direct her energy. I'm at a loss. I am losing patience with her daily. I am growing tired of doing book, toy, doll repair each night.<br><br>
We don't watch television in our house but I have been seriously tempted to turn it on for her. Just to get some peace...<br><br>
Is this typical 3yo behaviour? Does anyone have any advice?<br><br>
We live in a very cold climate and DD doesn't enjoy being outside in cold weather.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Except for flinging dishes into the cupboard (DD <i>might</i> do that if she didn't want to be doing that particular activity, but wouldn't otherwise do it), your DD sounds much like my DD.<br><br>
It wasn't until she was four that I felt it was okay to let her be alone with any kind of a book but a board book.<br><br>
She really wasn't into arts and crafts, so arts and crafts materials tended to get torn, scattered, or otherwise misused. Dumping watercolors into either her's or another's lap is something she would do, not vindictively or angrily, but because it was far more interesting than painting on paper.<br><br>
What worked for us was to find activities that DD wanted to do. She didn't want to do crafts, play with dolls, or read a whole lot. She wanted to manipulate materials differently (tearing was big for a while; seeing if pages could be removed from a book was very interesting and she didn't really have a concept of it destroying the book). What she really wanted to do was active things like tag, hide and seek, fantasy play that involved standing, dancing, and running (not the kind of fantasy play where you sit and play with cars or dolls or blocks).<br><br>
DD also slept about 11-12 hours at that age; no nap.<br><br>
I didn't really think of her as destructive. I thought she just wasn't ready for those types of materials and was more interested in the sensory experience of the paints on herself, or the floor, or smeared on the bathtub walls - not interested in creating - interested in experiencing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts