Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started bleeding on Wednesday. Just lightly and it was almost nude in color. The Thursday it happened a couple more time but by the end of the day had turned into bright blood stained mucous and some tiny clots.

All day Friday pretty much the same thing in varying degrees from almost nothing to soaking a panty liner. (not "bloody bloody, but a watered down blood from mucous - sorry if TMI)

I know they can't do anything for me or stop a m/c if I were to go to the hospital. But part of me thinks - "well if I just knew for sure" then I could either brace for "it" or relax.

On Tuesday I was 9 weeks, which doesn't mean anything if the baby died earlier, yk?

This is my 8th and I've only spotted once before but not like this. But it was 6 years ago too.

We haven't DTD in almost 2 weeks now so it wouldn't be from that, but I believe Tuesday or Wednesday night I had DH try to find my fundus, so I don't know if that "did" anything or not.

I can list a "million" things it could be from. From inocuous to the worst.

I'm trying to make it through the weekend to Monday when I hope to be able to sneak in to see my holistic doctor so she can do a muscle test on me to see if she can't determine what the bleeding is from. But until then 2 days seems like forever and I only pray the bleeding stops or lessens.

Would you ride it out and let nature take it's course, or go to the ER and put your mind at ease, either way?!

· Registered
1,654 Posts
If my mind needed ease that I was unable to find in myself, I would go to the ER and have a look. Can you carve out some time to spend looking inward? Perhaps you will find the peace you want.

Take care of yourself, mama.

· Registered
3,460 Posts
I agree with erinbird--only adding that if you go to ER and find that baby has pssed already, you may be pressured about having a D&C or chemical induction of your m/c. Maybe not--such measures could be offered with no pressure at all. But if baby has passed, what would you want to do? Some do prefer to get things immediately over with by medical means, but some would rather wait for nature to take its course.

It can take up to 3-4 wks for m/c to occur--your signs now could subside entirely. Some women experience just what you describe at the time that baby passes away, but those signs subside and they do not actually m/c until later.

So, while you consider what to do, you might want to consider all the ramifications of going to ER, and what you want to do if this is a m/c. I myself would wait a few days I think, tho my only m/c was immediate and straightforward, no waiting/wondering.

sending peaceful thoughts your way.

· Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well if an u/s revealed no baby, or that baby has died, I'd go home and wait for nature to take it's course. I would never want to do a D&C. So I know that already.

Everyone keeps saying that their m/c happened right away once they started bleeding, and that hasn't happened yet for me, thankfully, so there is that possibility of it resolving. Of course having an u/s and it showing what the problem is and that baby is alive an well would help with the worrying in that aspect. Hence why I am not sure what to do.

· Registered
80 Posts
I have M/C'ed 3 babies. All 3 I had bright blood and then blood clots bfore I lost them. From what I've read (I've studied child birth for several years but that doesnt always mean I know what I'm talking about) once you've seen bright red blood and blood clots the baby has already pasted away.

2 of my 3 babies I lost with in a couple days. The 3rd took about 4 weeks. As long as you dont have a high temperature you dont have to worry about infection. Drink lots of water and cook some extra onion, garlic, and oregano with your meals if you want for safety (they fight infection). RRL tea can help pass a baby faster if it is taking a while.

I am really sry to tell you this.....I wish/hope someone can tell you better news. I am crying for you.

2 of my babies I was able to retrieve and bury. If you can do that it will help in the grieving process.

· Registered
1,545 Posts
I am so very sorry. I will hope and pray that there is some simple explanation that doesn't mean that this lil one is at risk.

I can tell you what I have done, for my last three, which were miscarriages. I stayed home. I know at one point with the last I wondered what would happen, what they *could* do if I went to the hospital, but really if there is bleeding, not much.

My first child was also miscarried. I remember going to the hospital and what a nightmare that was. They wouldn't even let me have what they termed the 'biomedical waste'. The last three were born at home, like my other children. It gave me time to mourn, and to respect the people that they were, even if for just a short time. They were much further along, so I don't know if that makes it easier to retrieve, as truejoy says.

Again
:

· Registered
2,219 Posts
I also lost three babies. I handled the first on my own and it was a pretty gentle miscarriage. With the second, I went to the ER just to get an ultrasound and make sure I'd actually lost it. I just had to know for sure. I felt that I had, but I just needed to see it. I waited until I thought it was over and then went. I didn't want the doctor to have a reason to fight with me about doing a D&C.

So sorry you're dealing with this

· Registered
754 Posts
(((hugs))) to you. I've lost 4 babies - Most I had bleeding for, one I didn't - However - During my pregnancy that ended up with my living son, I had very heavy bright red bleeding around 8 weeks. I thought it was another MC for sure, but he was fine... I'm hoping for the best for you.

· Registered
45,796 Posts
If it were me I'd probably want to get checked out medically. If it's a m/c, I'd let nature take its course- but there are other things that can cause bleeding. What if it's something with the placenta, or some "unrelated to the pg" medical problem? The baby could be perfectly fine right now, but what if this is a sign of some medical problem that might pose a risk to the baby?

That's just what would go through my mind, and why I'd seek out medical care for something "outside of a normal healthy pg." You need to do what feels right for you.

· Registered
336 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by truejoy View Post
I have M/C'ed 3 babies. All 3 I had bright blood and then blood clots bfore I lost them. From what I've read (I've studied child birth for several years but that doesnt always mean I know what I'm talking about) once you've seen bright red blood and blood clots the baby has already pasted away.
It's actually possible to have a subchorionic hematoma and have lots of bright red bleeding and clots and still have everything be okay. I don't know how common/uncommon it is, but it happens--didn't happen to me and I had 3 m/c, but you can't know for sure until you either get an u/s, get an HCG blood test at 0 (or close to it), or pass the actually baby (depending on how far along you are you may be able to tell).

Anyway mama, I am so sorry you are going through this. I hope your baby is okay
: As far as what you should do, I don't know. With my first I went to the ER right away and had a horrible experience, then had to have a lot of blood tests over the next few days to get my betas and it was just a tiring and difficult experience. With my last 2 m/c I just waited until the bleeding got heavy and then went in and got an u/s to confirm, then went home and waited. With all 3 m/c I didn't actually pass the baby until 4-5 days after my initial spotting (which was super light in all cases, leading to heavier bleeding over a course of those 4-5 days).

· Registered
3,428 Posts
I hope everything is okay. I always ask what I'd do with the results of any tests. If the answer is nothing, why do I need the test? If it were me, at 9 weeks, I'd wait and see. But if knowing will help you, there's nothing wrong with getting an ultrasound.

· Premium Member
5,832 Posts
If it were me, I'd probably go in and get an ultrasound. I understand women who wouldn't, but I would go crazy with wondering. That's just how I am.

: Sorry you are experiencing this. Let us know what you decide to do.

· Registered
13,743 Posts
Big hugs. I've had eleven pregnancies, and have four live children to show for them and Rowan, who died at 24 weeks.
Miscarriage is horrible. It is terrible and terrifying because you do not truly know what is going on inside your body, if there is any hope whatsoever that your baby is still alive and well. Sometimes, though, it can take a toll physically.
I would hunker down at home and wait it out. Drink, monitor your temperature and your blood loss. If you exceed a pad an hour, get in the car and go to hospital. If your loss smells at all different or unusual, get in the car and go to hospital- and so on. Similarly, look for pain: not labour contractions. Honest-to-god, my body is broken I need help NOW pain. For me, bright red blood is not always an accurate sign, but cervical dilation is a giveaway that this pregnancy is coming to an end now.

There are other things you can do to support your body- large doses of vitamin E (check Wise Women Herbal for the exact dosages), floradix or the iron supplement of your choice and vitamin C (typical dosages.) I am not a fan of medical help for miscarriage, as I have found it to be consistently cruel, insensitive and inappropriate. Ectopic pregnancy: yes. Fantastic, brilliant and lifesaving. The planned and wanted pregnancies, however, were treated harshly and callously by my care providers and I don't think I'm alone in that.

The story of my twins birth at 12 weeks gestation is on my blog: Brighid was born gently and peacefully and I assumed that the miscarriage was over. I even went to an NCT conference the next day, I was feeling so well. Started labouring in the car on the way home and gave birth to another tiny, tiny person 24 hours after the first- and I had no idea. Therefore, with total seriousness I advise taking a digital pregnancy test at 13 weeks. You might be able to get a negative with a digital now, but it's highly unlikely.

One other thing: I KNEW that pregnancy had ended weeks before, I just hadn't talked with myself about it. When I tried a tarot reading, the cards told me. Dowsing told me. During those four days when I waited for labour, the signs were everywhere. Trust your intuition.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.